Chapter Four: The Liquid

I hope you guys like The Promise of a Pirate so far. I know it was a little slow to start out, but I had to get that important information in there. If you are liking it, please vote and comment, and if you are not, comment about what you think I should do to make it better! Nothing too mean please, just helpful criticism! Thanks and Enjoy :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had thrown everything that could possibly fit into my carpetbag. Once I was finished I sat on the bed, looking at the eerie message on my wall. I knew I had to hide it, or else Mary would become suspicious. I sat thinking for a while before it finally dawned on me. I walked over to my wardrobe and scooted it over to conceal the bold letters. Now that all my stuff was out of it, it was a lot easier to move around. Plus, I'm not a weakling. Daniel spent many hours making sure of it. I'm not incredibly strong, but I can manage on my own and that's all the matters to me. Suddenly the door flew open and Mary came flying in carrying a dress.

"My goodness my lady, I forgot about the Duke! He's taking you on a picnic in an hour! We must get you ready" I mentally cringed. This wasn't in my plans. I scowled as I walked over and sat at my vanity. Mary stood behind me arranging my blonde hair in an up-do, leaving pieces of curled hair hanging in random places. Again, I've told her many times that I can do all this myself, but she just won't let me. She does let me do my own makeup though, thankfully. My skin is naturally flawless so I have no need for that powder that's become so fashionable. I do apply some blush and go over my eyelids and the corners of my lower water line with black liner. I like to look natural, but still elegant.

Once I was done I stood up and took my robe off. I gripped my hands on the edge of the vanity, getting ready for the hard part. The corset. Mary pulled strings here and there, making it almost impossible to breathe. She finally finished and moved to grab the dress the she carried in.

"This is the only one the tailor had ready. But it will do. It's quite ravishing." Mary spent some time making sure the dress was on perfect. When she finished I moved to the mirror to see the outcome. The dress was beautiful. It was a pale blue color with a darker blue under it, which can be seen due to a cut in the front of the gown. In the front, the waist line is framed with pearls that fit in the shape of a v. At the bottom of the v, there is a line of pearls hanging down. The same pearls make beautiful patterns around the chest. Then it has black beads that go in a line over the shoulders and across the neck line, that is quite low, then back up the other shoulder. The sleeve is tight fitted then flows out into a thick fur, which would come in handy since it was the end of fall.

"I love it!" A smile spread across my face and Mary handed me light blue heels to match.

"Just in time, my lady. It's time to go! The Duke is waiting." A wave of fear rushed over me, remembering our encounter this morning. Mary offered a warm smile and then her arm, which I gladly took. She led me down to the end of the hallway before hugging me goodbye and walking to the servant's chambers. I sighed and walked to the rest of the way to see the Duke alone. I was too busy fiddling with my hands that I didn't see the person coming my direction, and I slammed into them hard. A pair of hands reached out to steady me and I didn't even have to look up to know who it was. I looked at my feet nervously.

"Hello Daniel." There was a long silence before I just accepted the fact that he would never speak to me again.

"Right, well. I'm terribly sorry I ran into you, and I won't waste anymore of your time. Excuse me." I moved around him, only to be stopped by his hand grabbing my forearm. I turned to look at him, finding sadness in his eyes. Before I knew what was happening he pulled me into him and held me tight. At first I was shocked but then finally snapped out of it and wrapped my arms around him.