Chapter One: The Beach

PICTURE OF DANIEL>>>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shot up in my bed taking a gulp of air. My hand shot up to my heart trying to calm my heart rate. "It was only a dream." I said to myself as I laid back down. I closed my eyes, only to be greeted by the memories of that night two years ago. My mystery pirate still haunts my every dream and all my waking hours. I've lived in fear of him showing up and taking me away from my cherished life. It's been one year, three hundred in sixty-four days, seven hours, and about forty-six minutes since I was staring into his blue eyes before blacking out and waking up on a beach. From the moment that my eyes fluttered open till the moment that Daniel found me wondering aimlessly through the woods I was confused about what had just happened. Piracy is the highest of crimes in Port Ember, resulting in immediate hanging. No trail, no last meal. Just tying the noose that will steal your breath away. The same route is taken for anyone who associates with them and doesn't report their encounter. Sadly for me, no one knows of my dance with the devil. Everyone believes that I just fell and washed onto the beach as if some miracle from God. Daniel was not so easy to fool. He questioned everything down to the last grain of sand on my arm. The tunic was a hard thing to explain though. I just told him that I couldn't walk in my dress and I took it off somewhere in the forest. A little later I stumbled upon a washed up chest full of clothes and found it inside. After some convincing he believed me. If I were to tell them now, mercy would not be shown. I would be held accountable for letting them slip in and out of Port Ember. Which means, no one knows of his threat to steal me away. I'm utterly unprotected and very easy to access he if tries.

I've lived these last two years in fear, keeping to my room and leaving only when absolutely necessary. But even this hasn't stopped my mother from trying to marry me off. I am engaged to the Duke of The Isle of Topa. At the age of eighteen, I am one of the last to be married. Because of this, my suitor isn't the best. In fact, I'm sure there is no one worse. He was married before but after the untimely passing of his wife, he's become a little insane. But he's all that's left for me, and my mother wouldn't have me being a Spinster. My fiancés name is Tristan Vonken. He is forty-nine, has short red hair accompanied by an untamed mustache. His brown eyes hold much sorrow and anguish. I can't help but feel sorry for him, but his personality helps me not. He is very dominant and won't let me out of his sight. He's with me from the moment the sun comes up until it sets. This gives me no time to visit Daniel, which infuriates him. Because of this, I have to wake up long before the sun comes up to see him. He is still helplessly in love with me, no matter what I say. Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if I agreed to run away with him that night. I would never have fallen off that balcony and met my pirate. It's strange how a single man can haunt me for years, but I don't even know his name. My thought was interrupted by something hitting my window. I jumped as a squeal escaped my lips. I hopped out of my bed and walked cautiously to my window. I peeked out of it, relieved to see it was Daniel. I cranked it open and smiled at him.

"You scared me! Don't you know better than to throw things at this hour?" He just frowned at me, staring me down.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Wha-"I stopped myself, realizing that I had forgotten that I was supposed to meet him an hour ago. He looked so angry, I couldn't help the laugh that flew through my lips. I quickly put my hand over my mouth to stop him from hearing it.

"Are you just going to sit up there laughing at me, or are you going to get your butt down here."

"Alright! Calm down! Just let me get changed." I ran to my wardrobe, throwing the doors open. My hands pushed the clothes away, trying to find the right ones. Suddenly my eyes spotted something familiar. My hands rubbed against the fabric, taking in every thread. It was his tunic. I gazed at it, trying to remember what it felt like against my skin. I quickly pushed that thought out of my head and shoved it aside with all the other clothes. I pulled out my own tunic. I threw it on and then a vest over it. I put on my leggings and riding boots and quickly threw my hair into a side braid. With that, I grabbed the rope Daniel had hidden in the curtains. I tied it to my bed post and got ready to climb down my massive wall. I was on the last floor of a five story house. Needless to say, this climb was very terrifying. I was close to the bottom when I felt Daniels hands grab my waist and lift me down the rest of the way. He set me down in front of him and just stared longingly into my eyes; something he does a lot lately. He finally snapped out of it and grabbed my hand. "