Prolouge

PICTURE OF EMERY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mother, I don't want to wear this dress! Evangeline smiled at her beautiful daughter.

"Emery, darling, this is a formal occasion! You can't appear with those boy clothes your father has you run around in." Emery huffed as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror. Her blonde hair fell down her back, stopping at the middle. Her very rare violet eyes burned holes into the mirror.

"It's time my love. Mary will help you into your dress." Emery looked at her mother, silently pleading one last time. Evangeline just laughed her radiant laugh and walked to the door. Emery sighed and walked behind her changing shade.

"Mary, what exactly is happening that's so important today?"

"Well its none of my business my lady but your mother had planned a coming out ball! Since you are now the proper age, you shall be introduced to suitors! Good thing too, that pretty face won't last forever!"

"Coming out ball?" Emery shrieked. "I'm only just sixteen Mary."

"If it's not to bold, you are far behind most ladies. The proper age for marriage is fourteen."

"That's much to bold."

"Sorry my lady. There. You are stunning." Emery looked in the mirror to see the dress her mother picked for her. She had to admit, it was an amazing dress. It was a Victorian style gown. The main color was silver and had purple jewels down the middle of the gown. The color below the jewels was a darker silver, which complemented the specks of silver in her eyes.

"My lady," Mary interrupted her thoughts, "It's time. Now off with you!" She hugged Emery goodbye and shoved her out the door. Emery took a deep breath before walking down the corridor to her mother, who was waiting at the end.

"My darling you look ravishing. Are you ready?" Emery put on her best smile and nodded. Evangeline took her daughters arm and led her to the courtyard. Emery was stunned at the sight before her. People, as far as the eye can see, flooded her vision. She gulped and stepped closer to her mother. Evangeline chucked at her daughter.

"You will do fine my love. Remember what I always tell you. Grace, beauty, charm, elegance. All are perfect qualities, but nothing is more important then-. "

"Then a compassionate heart," Emery interrupted," yes I know mother! You've only said it a hundred times!" Evangeline smiled and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"Announcing Duchess Evangeline Sparrow and her daughter, Emery Sparrow." Evangeline walked to her seat and motioned for Emery to mingle with her guests. She reluctantly did so, talking with men twice and even triple her age. By the end of the night she was exhausted. She was wondering around looking for a suitor she hadn't talked to when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. She turned a smiled at the owner. His dark brown hair fell down to his calming green eyes.

"Daniel!" She ran and jumped into his arms! Emery and Daniel have been best friends since before she could remember. Their mothers were as close as friends could be so naturally, both their kids would hit it off.

"Hey, you want to ditch this place and go for a walk?" Emery smiled a toothy smile and nodded. Daniel took her hand and led her away to the stone balcony that hung over the blue ocean. They both sat down on the railing and looked out into the sea.

"So, find anyone that you liked in that group of old men?" Daniel joked and lightly shoved Emery!

"Oh laugh all you want!" They sat there in comfortable silence until Daniel interrupted.