Chapter 28: A Change Of Heart

Start from the beginning

The wolf shifters from his pack that wanted to fight came with us to the Glory Dogs' territory that night. We left Carla and Louis in their territory with some protection. We didn't want anything bad to happen to the Alpha family.

Dante led the run to the territory with Cooper and Teague flanking him. I ran behind them with Logan and the two boys next to me. The Dark Hills wolves ran in formation behind us.

Throughout the whole run I felt in my gut that something was wrong. I kept stopping and sniffing out my surroundings. Each time I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary.

'Spread out,' Dante ordered. Some of the men would watch the territory border while we spoke with Christian's pack.

'We should shift back so we look less threatening to them,' Teague suggested once the men left to guard the border.

'I agree.'

I immediately shifted back without waiting to hear if Dante liked the idea. The others looked to the Alpha and he nodded his head in agreement.

Carla packed us a bag full of clothes before we left. I rifled through the bag before quickly slipping on a shirt and jeans.

I started to walk around Christian's pack house land while I waited for the others to finish shifting and changing. Aside from minor differences in terrain, most of the territories were all the same.

My hand reached back out behind me as soon as I felt him in step with me. He didn't speak a word while he led us up the steps and into the unfamiliar pack house. The others followed, joking around and pushing each other.

"Are you feeling okay?" Dante asked as he took in my tired face.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment.

"I am fine, just a little tired."

"Why don't you go into the Alpha office and lay down on the couch while we get settled? I will come and get you when all of Christian's pack members are here," he suggested after he lovingly cupped my face in his hands.

He leaned his forehead down against mine and placed a small kiss on my lips. I inhaled slowly to let his scent flow through my body before I left his presence. He tightly embraced me in his arms then pushed me towards the back of the house where I would find Christian's office.

Though it was mid-afternoon the hallway was dark and a little drafty; someone must have left a couple windows open in the house.

When I entered the office I closed the door behind me to drown out the loud, booming male voices that would keep me awake. I walked over to the window and slammed it shut.

"Was it really necessary to slam that?" he breathed into my ear.

My head turned at the sound of his voice.

No, it couldn't be him. He was dead. I saw his unconscious body with my own two eyes. I looked into his distant blue eyes and hugged his cold, lifeless body two days ago.

His hand clamped over my mouth and I was suddenly pressed firmly against his chest. He nuzzled his head into my neck. He didn't even attempt to hide his moan in pleasure at my scent.

"I should be pissed from the precious gift you left me, my little mate. Imagine the shock I had when I woke up this morning to find that now I really was identical to my brother."

I shivered when his grip tightened around my stomach. His hand clenched and I could feel his claws threatening to come out.

"Tristan, please," I begged.