Chapter 5: Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun

"Are you sure you're okay, Ari?" Hannah asked for the hundredth time today.

I had gone through the motions of going to class like a zombie. I hadn't done any of the assignments for my classes. Hannah led me to all my classes. I barely concentrated on anything the teachers said to me. I just couldn't stop thinking about my predicament.

"He's not going to claim me," I blurted out "Also I think I have a second mate."

I finally let a few tears spill down my face at the end of dinner. The school decided they should serve dinner on the nights Tristan held training.

Hannah and I tried to enjoy our steak dinner. It was complete with cheesy mashed potatoes, which were my favorite. But I couldn't bring myself to eat very much of it.

Hannah's jaw dropped before she quickly composed herself, "One thing at a time here. What makes you think he won't claim you?"

"He's tried twice now and last night he told me he couldn't do it."

"This is getting ridiculous. I am going over there right now and giving him a piece of my mind," she growled. She narrowed her eyes at his table where he had just been eating.

"Don't Hannah. It's just going to make things worse. The more he tells me no, the more it hurts."

"I hate seeing you like this. Did it ever occur to him to ask you what you want?"

"He's a man, what do you think?"

"You know, he is the youngest, most powerful Alpha our territories have ever had," she spoke while throwing away her dinner tray, "But he's not very bright."

I laughed and shook my head before following her to the door outside.

"Now moving on, what is this business about a second mate?"

"Well the other night with the rogues, I met their Alpha."

"And?"

"I think- no, I know he's my second mate."

"What do you mean?"

"I know it sounds crazy, but the moment we locked eyes it was the most amazing thing. The pull I felt for him was more powerful than with Tristan. It took everything inside me to resist going to him."

"Wow. What are you going to do?"

"Well, I was hoping you would tell me what you think I should do."

"Ari, you know I can't do that. This has to be your decision."

"Ugh, what good are you? What's the point of having a best friend if you won't even help me," I whined, joking half-heartedly.

She faked being hurt before slinging her arm around my shoulder. We walked up the hill to the open field in the back of our school. We didn't even notice we were the last ones to arrive.

"Theo, what are you doing here?" I asked when I noticed him next to Tristan.

"The big scary Alpha over here said he needed some help with you young cubs."

"Hey, we are not cubs!" I complained before nudging him in the ribs.

"So nice of you two to join us" Tristan grumbled.

"You could have started without us."

"We did. If you hadn't noticed your classmates aren't here."

Hannah and I looked around. Everyone was running far down the field.

"What are they doing?"

"I sent them on a run. I am testing your endurance in human form. Get moving," he growled. We moved immediately. Neither of us wanted to test his patience.