Prelude: The Art of Letting Go?

He chuckled lightly, silently admiring the bluenette's serene expression, laying on his lap as he stroked her azure locks.

"If only I could be selfish, even for just one time, I'd keep you forever," he whispered, a stray tear fell from his eye.

"Then why can't you?"

His stance froze as he felt his tear being wiped away by the bluenette's warm hands. He closed his eyes and thought once more, savoring the incomparable feeling of his love in his arms.

"Would it be so much of a bother?"

The redhead shook his head gently, eyes still closed, "I can't do that, Nagi. God knows how I wished for us to be just like this. Living a simple life, with our memories guiding us to a certain path. Though it seems that our fates just won't permit it."

This time, she made him face her, making him drown with her azure orbs' gaze. But what made him struggle to look away, was the falling drops of tears, streaming down her faint pinkish cheeks.

"Then defy it! I'm willing to do anything if it meant I could be with you! All this time, I thought that if we fight together, we could overcome it all! Wasn't that how it used to be with you and me?

Am I really that unworthy of your attention? Or you just really don't acknowledge my importance like I cherished yours?

Was I just a mere hindrance to your existence?"

"No," the redhead shook his head. "It's not like that at all, Nagisa. It's just that, I don't want you to be involved. I don't want you hurt any more than you already are. I don't want to hurt you."

"You're not hurting me, Karma! You never did! It was their fault, and you know it! They were the ones who threw all our friendship away! They hurt you, and they hurt me too!"

Karma held his head down, afraid to see Nagisa's tearstained physique.

"Why won't you just stay?"

"It's not...that simple. Not anymore," he whispered, covering his face with his palms as he sighed heavily.

Nagisa looked away, closing his eyelids hastily, preventing more tears to flow.

'I am not important to him anymore...'

'I am not worth anything at all.'

She smiled bitterly which broke the redhead's heart.

'This is it. She's giving up...'

"I-Is this really what y-you want?" She stammered, her grip on Karma loosened.

"Yes."

'No.'

"Then I'll leave you be." Nagisa grinned sadly, feeling hurt by how straightly Karma looked at her.

'Please don't... Just don't end it with that smile...'

"Sayonara, Karma. For now, at least..."

'I'm never leaving you, Karma. You know that. Yet you forgot. Now, I will be the one who's keeping my promises. I'm going to make them pay for what they did to us. And I'll save you,

From this unending abyss...'

【 edited. 】