*

'Let's get Maccas,' Violet is saying from the backseat, over the Two Soap Dolls song I'm playing on Ainsley's car speakers. Ainsley has had her license for about a week now, and I can tell she's nervous driving to the fundraising ball. She's wearing a plain floor-length black dress with a simple silver pendant necklace, and her blonde hair is curled lightly. Her high heels are sitting at my feet – she took them off to drive.

Violet is wearing a knee-length red dress with a chunky black necklace that looks stunning against her fair skin. Her dark, wavy hair falls softly around her shoulders. It's the first time I've ever seen Violet look like this, and I'm impressed.

'I don't want to get Maccas,' Ainsley says. She keeps taking one hand off the steering wheel to push her hair out of her eyes. Her hands are clammy and she's going to make her hair greasy or get us into a car accident.

'No seriously, let's get Maccas,' Violet says. 'I'm wearing high heels and I want to walk into McDonalds in a formal dress and order six chicken nuggets and a frozen coke.'

'And also order chips but give them to me,' I say smartly.

'Fine,' Ainsley says, and switches lanes so she can turn right into the McDonalds up ahead. 'We better not stay long.'

There's been plenty of times I've stumbled into McDonalds at three in the morning after a big party, trying to balance on high heels as well as hold up an almost-passed-out Watson, but walking sober into McDonalds with high heels is a different experience. I can't help but feel awkward in my long cream dress, walking up to the counter and ordering a cheeseburger. Ainsley stands with her arms crossed defensively over her chest and waits for us to get our order before sitting down in a booth.

'So let me see your camera, Vi,' I say. Violet has a mouthful of chips but she pulls her camera out of her bag and passes it across the table to me.

When I turn it on, it makes a loud beep. 'How do I turn it on silent?' I ask.

Violet laughs. 'It doesn't have a silent function; it's a camera, not an iPhone.'

I roll my eyes. 'But what if I come across Taylor and Duncan making out and I need to turn the camera on but they hear the beep?'

'Cough,' Violet suggests.

I roll my eyes.

'So I'm going to be pretending I'm filming the fundraiser for a film project, alright?' Violet says. 'Hopefully we'll catch Taylor before she catches onto what we're up to.'

'Easier said than done,' Ainsley says, chewing her bottom lip.

'This is for Watson,' I say. 'The sooner he finds out about Taylor, the better.'

The ball is being held in a hall in the middle of the city, and we circle the busy streets twice before finding the entrance to the secure parking and paying the disgustingly hefty parking fee.

The hall is decorated with balloons and streamers. There's a DJ set up playing music softly. My father and Ainsley's father are standing talking to the DJ. I see a photographer setting up, putting up big white sheets and white umbrellas to catch the flash. Violet sweeps her camera across the room, taking a panoramic view of everything.

I spot my mother leaning against the bar, talking to the bartender. She looks amazing, but I know she's probably already a few drinks in. Only Nora Maisonwood could keep up a Mother of the Year charade with an alcohol problem.

Ainsley, Violet and I take a seat at our reserved table. It's almost seven, and more people are drifting into the hall as we watch. It's mostly parents or old students nostalgic of their Hilverton days. Taylor will probably think it's safe to be less secretive about her affair.