A Queen's Fears

Okay, the last chapter was from a completely different perspective. That's fine, I'd planned it that way. In the last two books, Inheritance especially, the Points of views changed quite frequently from Eragon to Saphira, Roran to Murtagh, Nasuada to Arya and that sort of thing. I plan to keep doing this until the main characters are together.

 Arya Dröttning

A Queen's work is never finished.' Arya Drottning thought as she walked through Tialdarí Halls and walked outside into the green light of the city of Ellesmera and towards the massive green dragon that lay basking in the afternoon sun. Hearing the elven woman walking toward him, the dragon lifted his head and watched as Arya smiled widely and approached him, sitting down under a raised wing as she came near.

How fairs my queen? Fírnen asked, Arya sighing and leaning back tiredly before she answered, The usual drama, Fírnen. Nobles wanting more than they can get out of life, that kind of stuff. It isn't like the old times, I can tell you that.

Eragon, The Varden, the war? Fírnen asked, Arya making a face as memories of times past came unbidden to the forefront of her mind. Pushing them away, she nodded and sent a picture of a small child, dressed in an emerald green tunic and brown breeches running through the forest, away from a man as he chased her.

As the memory started to fade slightly, she was smiling as Fírnen have his version of laughter and an elfin messenger approached the Dragon Rider pair and bowed respectfully as they looked at him. As the Rider sat up and paid attention to their guest, the messenger bit their lip and said, "Your Majesty, there are a couple of messengers from the human and Urgal kingdoms. They're awaiting your arrival in the Throne room."

"Thank you. I shall go immediately with haste." Arya answered, nodding at him and turning to Fírnen as she told the dragon, You should come with me. They may need the wisdom of a dragon and Rider.

Blinking, Fírnen stood and stretched as she straightened her tunic and began walking back through to Tialdari Halls, greeting any elf they came across, a child squealing as they ran into the Queen and bounced off her, causing Arya to laugh lightly as she helped the little boy back to his feet and sent him on his way again, smiling widely as he went off back into the trees after his friends as the elf woman went on her way back to her halls, her dragon in tow.

Soon enough, they both reached the halls and entered, going through the wooden corridor and entering the Throne room and greeting the messengers as her arrival was announced by Lord Däthedr, her oldest and trusted advisor. One thousand years had been kind to the elven man and he was considering retirement soon. She was sad to hear this but she respected his decision and had agreed to it when he had asked.

Nodding at Däthedr, she focused solely on the messengers from being th peoples and saw that the Urgal was Nar Gharzhvog, the former leader of the Urgals who had joined the rebellion. Whilst the years had been kind to her advisor, they hadn't been so with the Urgal. His once winding horns were dull and curled even more around his head, his eyes held tales of experiences long since past but not forgotten and he stood not with the once-proud grace of his youth, but with a stoop that told of age.

"Nar Gharzhvog, it has been a long time." the Queen greeted, smiling as she came towards the pair and stopped in front of them, greeting the human with the same courtesy as her old friend and receiving a smile and a bow in return. Gharzhvog nodded and replied in the language of the elves, to which she responded in kind, leaving the human stood there with a slightly confused look on his face as he rubbed his arm and stood there before the other occupants turned their attention to him as he shuffled his feet and pulled something out of his bag and handed it to her saying, "Your Majesty, my king has asked me to ask.you if you would look at this. He has also asked that you allow him entry into the forest to speak with you personally."

"And why might that be? The elves and humans may have had their problems in the past, but we have also worked in alliance during the Riders War, one thousand years ago."

"Queen Arya, the King still wants to be allies. That is why he has sent me here today." the human answered, a concerned look passing over him as he handed the object over. A letter rustled in her hand as she took it and looked at the seal, Gharzhvog looking over her shoulder, both of them paling at the sight of the old and long forgotten sigil on the flap of the paper.

A twisted depiction of a female hand with talons instead of fingers, the seal brought an age-old ember to flames inside Arya's and Gharzhvog's very being. For it was no ordinary sigil, it was the sigil of Galbatorix's once-secret society, The Black Hand.

"No,"

It's not much but I promised that I would update for Christmas. I should be getting back to the party now.
Hermione Jean Burton