Chapter 9: Rockabye Baby

"Pneumonia?" I pressed my chin into my fist and bit my cheek, "He's been here for two days. Why has it taken so long to figure that out?"

The doctor sighed and crossed his arms defensively, "He had fluid in his lungs. We assumed that was because of a viral infection and we had been treating him with antibiotics to reduce it but it hasn't healed. When we did another ultrasound on his chest and ran some more blood. The ultrasound showed the buildup of fluid and the blood test confirmed the bacteria. we've switched his antibiotics and he should start to get better soon."

The tightness that had been settled in my chest for days seemed to disappear a little bit.

"So he'll get better?" I whispered, both terrified and excited.

Slowly he nodded and if my dad hadn't been holding my arm, I probably would have thrown myself into the Doctors chest and hugged him until he turned purple.

******

It had been another 3 days since the medication had been switched. The doctor kept telling me not to worry, that he would be okay, but it seemed that every time I turned my back, another nurse was poking at Alec or taking his temperature. It hadn't taken me long to realize that his fevers were back and his coughing was starting to follow.

My nerves were back too. I ket telling myself that he would be fine and that my worries were for nothing but I had a gut feeling that something was still wrong and I knew it would happen eventually.

I was holding him on my chest, rubbing small circles into his back and singing Justin's song, Baby, into his ear when it started.

At first, I thought it was just his eyes drifting closed but after looking a little closer at them, I noticed they had rolled to the back of his head and his mouth hung slightly open like he was sleeping. I frowned at him until his arms and legs went limp then began to shake..

My heart began to race as his body shook violently in my arms. I didn't know what to do, so I held him closer making sure he didn't slip or hurt himself.

A nurse had seen him and rushed over, scooping him off my chest and shouting for assistance. Everything moved in slow motion after that.

Doctors of all types rushed in and surrounded my son. Nurses that had been tending to other babies rushed over to help. A crowd formed around him before I could even blink an eye and realize what was happening.

"Get her out of here!" Somebody shouted and I knew they were talking about me. Another person grabbed my shoulders and began to lead me out. I didn't fight them because I knew it wasn't worth it.

I was seated in a waiting room chair and I saw the woman who had escorted me here. I watched her face, her hazel eyes full or panic. She was speaking to me but I couldn't hear her words. It was like I was underwater and none of her words could reach me. It felt like I had just had a firecracker go off inches from my head.

She said a final word that I'd never make out and took off in the direction of Alec. I hoped she would go help him. I wasn't sure how long I sat there staring at the hallway she had vanished down, but it must have been a long time because my dad who was scheduled to work until 5 sat down beside me and finally snapped me out of my haze.

"Are you hungry?" I looked over at him and he was holding out a bag of plain chips. I shook my head, even though my stomach was growling, unsure if I would be able to keep any food down while I was wracked with worry, "Have they told you anything?"

Of course he knew. He was my guardian so they would have told him everything that happened to Alec before they told me. Apparently, it was a legal thing.