Chapter 6: Daddy Dearest

I wasn't sure if it was just mental or not, but after the appointment, my morning sickness got 10 times worse. I practically lived in the bathroom last night and this morning. She was starting to get suspicious of my miraculous food poisoning because she followed me to the bathroom every time I went and watched as I heaved, nothing coming out.

So I figured it was time to tell her. I spent most of the morning preparing myself for her words. There was no way in the universe she'd be cool about me having a kid. I was going to get yelled at or slapped.

When I walked into her bedroom she sat straight up and stared at me, putting down her book, "You feeling better?" She had the same eyes as me, large and doe like, but they were a deep hazel while mine were green.

I didn't reply to her question and instead moved across the room to sit on the end of her bed. It was getting late so I was hoping that meant she wouldn't have as much energy to scream at me. I looked up at her and saw her swallow hard.

"Whats going on with you?" She asked a little more serious than I thought she would, "Are you okay?"

I began to shake my head and pressed my fist into my knee, "No," She didnt reach over to comfort me or even try to say anything reassuring. I was sure she knew what I was about to say so I decided it was best not to draw it out, "I'm pregnant."

Normally, I would have asked her, "Don't be mad," But I knew she was going to be mad. It would have been a waste of breath.

She didn't the complete opposite if what I was expecting. She buried her face in her hands and after a few seconds her shoulders began to shake. She had obviously seen it coming, but why was she crying?

"Mommy?" I whispered about to reach out for her but she flinched away from me and looked up to glare.

"Dont!" She snapped, "How could you be so stupid?" Her words cut me like a whip, "Were you trying to ruin my life?"

Her life? "What?" I whispered, "No, of course-"

"Don't talk!" She was shouting so loud it hurt my ears, "Get out of my sight! Call your father. I don't want you in my house!"

Wait, what? Was she kicking me out? What?

I had barely stood up when she reached for her book and threw it off the bed. It wasn't directed at me, but I knew that the book had taken the hit she had waned to give to me. I flinched and quickened my pace, wanting to get away from her, but as I left her room she said something I had never expected.

"You're disgusting."

I bit my lip and closed her bedroom door, too shattered to even think.

******

I had my dad's phone number memorized. He had never changed it in the 15 years I had been alive, so I knew it would still be the same, even though I hadn't called it in almost 5 years. As usual, he answered at the last second and his voice flowed into my ears, making all my emotions pour out.

"Gabby? Baby, is it you?" His voice was deep and rough, but so familiar it made my body shake.

"Hi Daddy," I whispered into the phone, trying my best to hide my sobs. I hadn't done a very good job because he noticed right away.

"Whats wrong?" He sounded so concerned for me, "Sweetie, are you alright?"

I wanted to tell him so badly about my son. I wanted him to know, but I didn't want him to be mad. I had never made him mad before, "Please don't get mad." I was sobbing so hard I was wondering how he was making out my words, "Please, daddy."

"Talk to me," He whispered into the phone, "I won't get mad."

I knew he was telling the truth, but I also thought I had known my mom wouldn't hate me. I was seriously debating wether or not to trust my judgement again.

"Gab? Hon, you still there?"

"Yeah, Im here." I replied. My mouth hung open as I fought to say the words. Finally they emerged and I held my breath in anticipation of his response, "Im pregnant."

The line was quiet for a long time as we both waited. My stomach was doing literal flips - or maybe that was the baby. I pressed a hand onto my little bump and it seemed to settle.

"Are you happy?" He finally spoke and I swallowed hard.

"Yeah."

He let out a deep sigh, "Then so am I." I broke down. Everything I had been holding in was let out. My dad was the person I had been most scared of telling because he had always had such high expectations of me, but I was his little girl. That would never change.

"Thank you," I managed to choke out between sobs, "Thank you," I said again. He sat quietly as I cried, every once in a while whispering a 'sh' sound, but never calling me stupid or disgusting. It took me a while but I eventually settled down enough for us to talk again.

He spoke first as I sniffled and wiped my nose on my sleeve, "Have you told your mom?" When I mumbled an, Uh-huh, he sighed, "I'm sorry."

Then a thought occurred to me that would solve most of my problems. It was a long shot, but I decided it was worth a shot, "Can I come live with you?"

He was silent for a little bit then I heard him sniffle. I had made him cry. The he said something that made me smile like an idiot, "Gabby, I thought you'd never ask."

******

The next morning I left before mom woke up. My dad had booked me an early flight and bought me a ticket. I had 2 layovers, but I didn't care. I had left my mom a note that briefly told her where I was going and that if she ever needed me, that she could call him. I wasn't sure if she ever would, but she had the choice if it ever pleased her.

I boarded the flight and slept most of the first one and listened to music during the second, The third was only an hour, so I just watched the clouds. By the time we landed in Vancouver, BC it was 6:15 PM. I had literally been in the air all day. As I waited for my bags, I checked my phone. Justin had texted me asking if I was okay and when he could come see me. I quickly deleted he message. Other than that, I didn't have any other messages.

I felt somebody tap my shoulder and whipped around, coming face to face with the mirrored, older, male version of myself. His blonde hair and green eyes were the same as the always had been but he had gained about 50 pounds, giving his belly a round plump look and his chin a little wider.

"dad," I whispered and then he wrapped his arms around me. I buried my face in his shoulder and cried, because for the first time in what seemed like forever, I finally had somebody on my side and that felt incredibly good.

******

We had gotten in my Dad's car and immediately, he began talking like we had never been apart. He was asking me about Justin, Chaz, and Ryan. He asked if I was still playing hockey. He asked the basic dad questions like if I was doing okay in school or if I had a boyfriend.

Then he asked, "Do you know the gender?" His voice was so calm and relaxed you wouldn't have thought it was a conversation between a father and his 15 year old daughter.

A grin appeared on my face and I hid it behind my bulky scarf, "A boy," I replied and felt my face light up.

He laughed, "Do you have a name yet?"

Somehow, that was something I hadn't even thought about. I had been so focused on if I was keeping him or not that it had never even occurred to me that he would need a name. That seemed like a massive responsibility for one person.

"No?" He chuckled and reached over to pat my knee, "That's alright, kid. You've got time."

I smiled and looked out the window and at the mountains that were surrounding us. He was right. I was 17 weeks. I had almost 23 left to think about that stuff, and I was going to need it.

I closed my eyes, and for the first time in weeks, I fell asleep without worrying about anything.