Chapter Fifty-One

Start from the beginning

She licked his face once. That was enough. He kissed her head, clicked so that she'd follow him, and snuck out the front door while Ryan faced the stove.

Time passed.

Finally, they were at the front door. Drew kissed Elle once, gently, and hugged her. "I love you," he said softly. "Take care of yourself, okay? Call me whenever you need me."

"Of course." She kissed him one last time, and left to climb into the bus. Hunter would be driving the car into the garage space on the new and improved bus, and Elle would be resting in the bus, most, if not all of the time.

Ryan glanced at Hunter. "Take care," she said, slightly tense. "Don't do anything stupid."

"You too," he mumbled. "Stay safe. Look after the kids."

She didn't know what else to say, and took a step back, but then he stepped forward and enveloped her in a hug. Her arms hesitantly moved their way around his neck, hugging him back. She had forgotten how good he smelled- like pine, aftershave and coffee. "I'll miss you," he said softly into her hair. "I'm so sorry. For everything."

"Me too," she breathed. "I'm sorry, too."

He hesitated, then closed his eyes, kissing her forehead. "It'll be okay," he promised her quietly. Her legs felt like jelly, and she cursed in her head.

She was in love with him again.

Then, he left.

<><><><><><><><>

Elle lay down. Despite telling Drew that she was fine, everything hurt like crazy. She frowned, closing her eyes. She had it all in her head.

The next one they had to find was Amanda Thomas-Diaz, born in Nashville and raised in New Jersey. Elle had found her Instagram profile, which had locations enabled- this was too easy. Looking at her, it didn't seem like this girl would be his daughter, but maybe she was. After all, she had never met Lilly.

"We're gonna go the twelve hours, we'll be in New Jersey soon," said Hunter, walking into the room. He noticed Elle's wince, and asked, "You okay?"

She nodded slightly. "Headache."

They'd only been on the road for an hour now. Would she get worse? He didn't know. He was worried about her, especially now that she didn't have Drew to help take care of her. He sat down beside her, attempting to massage her head the way Drew did. She sighed, nestling into the pillow. "That's better. Thank you, Pa."

Suddenly, there was a snuffling noise, and a panicked, "Shh!" Both Hunter and Elle froze, looking at each other.

"That wasn't... that wasn't my imagination, was it?" asked Elle softly.

"No, I don't think so," he breathed back. "Where did it come from?"

"The bunk behind you, I think," she whispered.

At that very moment, Hunter's phone rang, making them both jump. "It's Ma," he said, before answering it.

"Hunter, Nick's missing," she said urgently. "I don't know where he is, he hasn't left a note, he's just gone, and so is Nita. Do you know-"

"Wait a moment, Ry," he said, something suddenly clicking together in his mind. "I think I know where he is."

"You do?! Where?!"

Hunter turned around, still holding the phone to his ear, and opened the curtain of the bunk behind him, revealing a very guilty looking Phoenix, and Nita curled up beside him.