Just For it All to Come Crashing Down

1 month later...

Emma's POV

The advertising agency Killian was working at, Ferrara Advertising, was hosting its annual Christmas in July extravaganza. Killian and I both thought it was completely ridiculous and childish, but that was Killian's boss for you.

Killian had always been good at organizing and managing, and he was extremely bright. Entering the  world of business had made perfect sense with his type of personality. And other than his annoying boss, he really enjoyed his work.

Ed Ferrara owned the company, hence it being named after him. He was filthy rich, a very successful billionaire. Overall, he was a nice guy, but according to Killian, very difficult to work for.

Instead of having a business-like environment, he said Ed made the workplace like a playground. Which was all fine and dandy, except for when he started betting people to do humiliating things like eating a doughnut out of the toilet or drinking someone's backwash.

And worse than that, people actually did the dares. Killian wasn't amused with his boss's immature behavior, and he certainly wasn't one of those idiots who indulged in it. Ed had bet him $500 to lick the floor in the break room but Killian refused, stating he wasn't interested in getting Hepatitis.

My man was so sexy when he stood up for himself and put his foot down to his boss. Killian didn't really want to go to this thing tonight either, but he knew for the sake of his job he had to attend. I, of course, was going to accompany him.

Even though I wasn't too thrilled about it. All the old guys that worked at the company would always stare at my boobs at these parties. And they didn't even try to hide it. I guess they were too ancient to be subtle. But for Killian, I'd suck it up and do it.

I was working at the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families in downtown Boston, and absolutely loving it. I got to help, save, and work with kids in similar situations to my own all day.

Having a social worker handling their case who knew what they were going through, made it easier for the kids to open up and trust me. They were still closed off, but each day I broke another one of their walls down. Just like Killian did with me.

My caseload was 15 kids right now, which wasn't as much as it sounded. One of my coworkers had 22, and another had 28. Most of the people who were in this kind of work, were in it because they wanted to keep kids safe and give them a better life.

The social workers who sadly only cared about making a lot of money were in the wrong profession. One of the kids that I was working with, a 10 year old little boy named Isaiah, had been in and out foster care since he was 2 months old.

His mother had been a cocaine addict while she was pregnant with him and still wasn't clean.

I'd only been working at this agency for a few weeks and already I'd placed him in 8 different foster homes. People just didn't have the patience to put up with his hyper personality and extreme playfulness. He was just a kid that wanted to be loved, and I swore I was going to find a good family that would give him just that.

Killian and I were living in a one bedroom duplex apartment that we had a lease on. And although it was a little over the top for just 2 people, I had to admit that I loved it. But we'd still have to upgrade to a place with more rooms once we got married and decided to start a family.

We hadn't set a date yet, but we were thinking about having the wedding sometime next year. That way we had plenty of time to plan everything and not have to rush. And we figured it'd be too stressful trying to plan 2 weddings at the same time. Regina and Robin were planning on tying the knot next month, and we were down to the final preparations.