Lunch

Chapter 2

*Emma's POV

I couldn't help but giggle at Killian's expression as I walked towards English. He was so adorable. When I'd kissed his cheek, his eyes went so wide I thought they'd pop right out of his head. And the small blush that crept to his cheeks as he stood there in awe was just too cute. The whole period all I could think about was Killian. I tried to focus on what Mrs. Darling was saying but her lecture on correct grammar and punctuation wasn't enough to keep me interested.

When Graham and his gang of dumbass jocks were making fun of Killian when he was in front of the class I was annoyed. But when they tripped him, I was full blown pissed. I had never felt that kind of anger before. Or the instinctive need to tell them to leave him the hell alone. I had always hated seeing bullies picking on the weaker man. Back when I was in the foster system, I was usually the oldest in whatever group home I was in at the time, and I felt like it was my job to protect the younger kids. But something inside me snapped when I saw them physically try to hurt him, instead of just using their hateful words.

Didn't they have anything better to do than try to humiliate him on his very first day at a new school in a new country? Couldn't they give the guy a break? I knew if they didn't the only thing that would be getting a break would be them when I kicked their asses.

I was glad when the bell finally rang and it was lunch. I wondered if I would see Killian. I wondered if anyone had been nice enough to ask him to sit with them. I doubt it. The few good people in this school were the ones I was friends with. I remember how they had accepted me with such open arms my first day. Regina and I had become friends right away and then she introduced me to Mary Margaret and Ruby soon after. I lucked out with them.

"Em!" Regina and Ruby hollered from across the cafeteria when they saw me waiting in line. They quickly ran over.

"So how did it go with Count Dorkcula over there?" Ruby asked, gesturing with her head to where Killian was standing. He seemed lost in all the chaos and a little overwhelmed. I was too my first day.

"Hey, don't call him that," I scowled, my eyes narrowing.

Regina's and Ruby's eyes went wide with shock at my defensive reaction.

"I mean, there's no need to be rude, he's a nice guy," I said clearing my throat, trying to soften my tone.

"Just ignore her, Emma. She can't help but be a bitch," Regina said rolling her eyes at Ruby.

"You're one to talk, Miss. Queen Bitch," Ruby countered.

"Guys stop!" I protested, afraid they'd start clawing each other's eyes out. "Ruby, don't talk about Killian like that, and both of you grow up and quit calling each other names."

"Ooh, Killian is it?" Ruby teased. "Don't tell me you like him."

"Shut up, Ruby," I grumbled. "And as a matter of fact I do like him, but not in the way you're thinking. Do you have a problem with that?"

"Of course not," Regina spoke up before Ruby could come up with some smart ass remark. "You're allowed to like anyone you want."

They stuck their tongues out at each other like 5 year olds. We all just laughed as the line moved up. Today's lunch special was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn. The lunch ladies could claim it was meatloaf all they wanted, but it sure as hell didn't look like it. At least the mashed potatoes were decent. The 3 of us sat down at our usual table, Mary Margaret, Robin and David were already there. I glanced around to look for Killian. He was standing awkwardly in the middle of the cafeteria with his tray, looking for somewhere to sit.