01|| niffler

niffler

Long-snouted, burrowing creatures native to Britain with a penchant for anything shiny

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New York City 1926

She was enjoying her cup of tea when the preaching began. Athena groaned. They were at it again. The Second Salemers, lead by Mary Lou Barebone, held weekly meetings on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Sundays. Athena sighed; it's a pity her favorite cafe was directly in front of the bustling New York Bank, also known as the Second Salemers' favorite meeting place. Barebone's annoying tone can be heard loud and clear, but Athena was too stubborn to sacrifice the good tea and pastries.

"You! Friend. What drew you to our meeting today?"

Athena rolled her eyes and pitied the poor victim that was now the center of attention.

"Are you a seeker? A seeker after truth? Mary Lou asks.

Athena scoffed. As if the woman had an inkling of what she was talking about.

"I'm more of a chaser, really" a male's voice replied.

Athena laughed, then paused. A chaser...instead of a seeker....what an odd way of wording it for a muggle. Unless it wasn't a muggle. And...that voice...

Curious, she stood up to get a better view and spotted the owner of the voice: a ginger male in a soft blue coat carrying a well-worn brown briefcase. Her eyes widened as she watched a black furry creature squeeze out of the briefcase. Her eyes followed the creature as it zipped up the stairs to steal silver coins from a homeless man and whatever shiny things that it could get its paws on.

"A Niffler..." Athena breathed. Her eyes snapped back to the man as she watched him push through the crowd to follow the magical creature. Athena felt a tugging feeling in her chest and grinned. Finally, a wizard who didn't seem to heed the rules. She gathered her things, left a tip on the table, and quickened her steps to follow the man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Can I help you?"

"No, I'm just...I'm just waiting" Newt answers as he moves away from the bank employee and towards the benches taking a seat beside the stocky man that tripped over his briefcase earlier. The stocky man turned towards Newt.

"Hi again. What are you doing here?" He asks to be polite.

"Ehr...same as you..." Newt answers, distracted as he frantically searches for the Niffler.

"You're hear to get a loan to open up a bakery?"

"...yeah..."

"Well what are the odds of that? May the best win I guess Mr..." the stocky man said as he held out his hand. Newt, however, having spotted the Niffler and was already up and running to catch it. In his place sat a large silver egg.

"Hey, mister! Your forgot your egg! Hey!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Athena finally reached the bottom of the staircase to the Bank after crossing the street. Being a pedestrian in New York can be suicidal.

"Young lady! Join us and help us save the world from Evil!"

Athena blankly looked up at the woman on the steps. Mary Lou's emotionless eyes bore into hers. Athena looked at the children behind Mary Lou and her heart soften. The poor children...Then Athena sent Mary Lou a smile.

"Of course, in fact, I know how we can get rid of a large part of evil right now. Shall I share my knowledge with you?"

Mary Lou looked at the young lady satisfied.

"But of course! Share with us how to rid the evil that resides among us!"

Athena marched up the stairs. All eyes rested upon her ascending figure as she reached the top of the stairs and turned around. Athena gazed down upon the woman.

"You can rid the evil among us....

...by simply stopping this nonsense and actually fulfill your duty in taking care of those poor children who deserve more love and compassion than what you have given them you emotionless witch."

And with that she turned on her heels and walked through arches of the Bank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Hey there!

Thanks for stopping by to check out my story. I'm just getting started but I really appreciate you reading my story. You'd make my day by clicking that little button with a star and comments would make me spiral into happiness. I'll try to update soon!