This Is Why

I was on the roof of my house. I lived  in a town house type of building. Like they were individual houses but like all together in one gated area that was pretty high up. I sat there as I waited for Kevin.

It's been a month since Celie was in the hospital. She had to get a glass eye.

I dangled my legs over the side of the building and looked down.

I wondered what would happen if I fell. If I let myself go.

Suddenly I wanted it. It was weird how much I wanted it but it made me inch closer to the edge.

Then the only things separating me from death were my hands that gripped the edge of the building and my arms that bent at 90 degrees so I was still holding myself up.

I loosened my grip and fell slightly but I was still holding up.

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly.

Just as I did so, I closed my eyes and let go.

I felt pain but it wasn't a death kind of pain.

Was I dreaming?

I opened my eyes and I was still on the roof but I was on the ground with a pair of arms wrapped around me.

I looked up and saw Kevin.

For some reason, tears started spilling from my eyes.

"I'm sorry" I whimpered

"What the hell is wrong with you?" He yelled, trying to catch his breath.

He shoved me off of him and got off of the floor.

"Do you have any idea how terrifying that was?" He yelled louder

"IF I CAME ONE SECOND LATER THEN YOU WOULD BE DEAD" He screamed

I've never seen him so mad. It made me cry more.

He grabbed my wrists so tight that I could feel the red marks forming on them.

"I could have lost you. And then what would I have done? And then what? You... You are stupid. You're such an idiot." He angrily said

His words rang through my head when he said 'You are not stupid' and now 'you are stupid'

I was hiccuping due to the crying that only got worse with how angry he got.

"Don't you dare cry. If I was a minute behind then you wouldn't be able to cry. I would be the one crying. Do you know how stupid you are? You almost caused so much horror in so many lives. Your mom and dad would have saw you dead on the floor and felt like it was their fault. Your brother would get the news while he's away at college and realize that he never really got to say goodbye to the little girl who he loved and protected" He yelled, emphasizing the protected, "Then you have your boyfriend. You're idiotic boyfriend. He would have killed himself too. I mean he's probably so fucked up that he would dragged his family with him to hell. I know you know I could do it. That would have been my reasoning. You have no idea how fucking stupid you are you have NO IDEA" He yelled so loud that people started to look up at us from the ground.

"You know what? I need to be away from you for a while." He said, rubbing his head.

"Kevin no!" I cried

"No what?" He said as if I just said that it was his fault.

"Don't leave me" I cried

"This is too much for me right now. I don't need to worry about you. I don't care about you." He spat