Lyrabon

Lyra's POV:

"Lyra!" My excitable best friend Bonbon has come to my house to visit and runs up to me, waving a flyer in my face,
  "What?" I laugh, swatting the paper away,
  "Look! Battle of the bands! We should participate!"
  "Yeah!" I jump up and then realise something, "But, Bonbon, you can't play any instruments,"
"Well..." She frowns, "I can learn!"
  "In three weeks?" I ask sceptically, looking at the flyer,
  "Yeah! Let's get started!" She squeals, running over to were I keep all my instruments - music is my passion - and I tell her to choose one. When she can't, I suggest piano, which, unsurprisingly, she enthusiastically agrees to.
  "Right, so..." I begin, showing her the keys and teaching her some simple pieces of music. Just when she is getting the hang of it we are interrupted by a sped up version of an old pop song; Bonbons phone.
"Yes," she answers, "Okay. Be there in ten minutes. Kay. Bye!" From listening to the one sided conversation I guess it was her mom. I'm right.
  "I'm sorry I Gotta go!" She says picking up her bright pink bag and slinging it onto her shoulder, "Byeeee!"
  "Bye!" I say, picking up the Battle of the bands flyer again and waving without looking up as my best friend left.

Bonbon's POV:

I'm super excited about this whole Battle of the bands thing, it's going to be great! And I get to spend more time with Lyra - she's awesome! Derpy, my absent minded friend sometimes teases that me and Lyra should go out with each other and honestly, I wouldn't mind that much if she asked me - I am bisexual after all.
   The next day I get a text from Lyra that wakes me up, which is fair enough really, it's only seven and it's a Sunday! But, regardless of the time I pick up my blue and pink - like my hair - phone and open my best friends message then reply immediately,

Lyra: hey wanna meet up later 4 piano practise?

Me: sure! What time?

Lyra: whenever u want. How bout this afternoon?

Me: Kay c u then

Although it's nothing special, this short conversation satisfies me and I'm now looking forward to seeing Lyra later and learning my piano skills. She said we were going to have to practice every day so I get good enough for the competition! Spending even more time with her will be so fun! Oh no...I seem to be listening to Derpy a little to much...I'm starting to think I do like Lyra the way she thinks....

Lyra's POV:

Sometimes I wonder about my best friend, we are teased about being a couple and I think she sort of wants it to be true. I'm not sure though; she's better at hiding her feelings than you'd expect. Not that I'd mind that much but I'm not about to say anything and anyway we both have the Battle of the bands to focus on. Well her anyway...I actually know how to play an instrument! My thoughts are interrupted by a repetitive knocking on the door and I know immediately that it's Bonbon.
  "Come in!" I say, unlocking the door and almost getting knocked over as she runs inside, her blue and pink hair flying everywhere.
  "Hiiiiiii!" She squeals, running over to my piano, "Let's get started!"
  "Great idea," I say, smiling fondly at my friend and going to sit next to her on the music stool. We practise for almost an hour and it seems like in that time Bonbon has moved closer to me on the stool, so close we were touching and although it should be really awkward...it isn't. When we finally stop for a break I congratulate Bonbon on her improvements and she smiles sweetly, her bright blue eyes looking deep into my golden ones. She moves ever so slightly closer to me and I know exactly what's going to happen. I'm not about to go anywhere. As I predicted, she leans forward and kisses me gently on the lips and suddenly I don't care anymore - I don't care what people say or think or do, I just care about me and Bonbon and nothing else matters. I put my hand on the back of her head and pull her closer and I know how relieved she is that I didn't push her away and I'm happy I didn't too. As unexpected as it is that I feel this way, so many others have said we would make a good couple and for the first time in my life, I agree with them.
  "LYRA HEARTSTRINGS!!!" We are cut of by a deafening shriek and my blood turns cold as I realise who it is. My mother. Who is strictly against gays or lesbians or anything like that, so I'm going to get killed. Or sent to a psychiatrist or something.
  "Shit." I whisper, "Bonbon, you'd better go." She nods, blushing as she picks up her bag and runs silently out the door.
  "How dare you?!?" My mom shouts, her eyes burning with anger,
  "I...I'm sorry...I..." I stare and the floor and I don't know what to say, not until I look up and see just how angry my mother is and then I know exactly what to say, "Actually no. I'm not sorry, because there's nothing to be sorry about. I don't care what you think, liking the same gender isn't wrong! I love Bonbon and you're not going to stop that!"
  "Oh, yes I will," my mother hisses, "And if I can't then you can get out of my house!"
  "Okay then." I say coolly, walking straight out of the door, leaving her screaming at me from inside the house. When I step outside I almost run straight into Bonbon.

Bonbon's POV:

After leaving Lyra's I stay outside, listening in to what her and her mother are saying and they're shouting so hard it's not hard to hear. And what I do hear both angers and pleases me: what Mrs Heartstrings says is appalling and makes me want to cry but Lyra's comeback makes me so proud. Especially when she says she loves me - I feel happier than I ever had before, despite what her mom said. Then, I hear her saying she's going to leave and when she does she looks shocked to still see me outside,
  "Bonbon?" She asks, "Why are you still here...?"
  "I'm sorry." I whisper, "I just wanted to check things are all okay,"
  "Oh," surprisingly she smiles, "Thanks! And everything's fine."
  "But...she kicked you out..."
  "I went willingly."
  "So..." I hope I don't sound as awkward as I feel, "Does that mean you'll be staying at my house?"
  "If I'm allowed," she replies, blushing a little, which is unlike her,
  "Of course!" I beam, taking her hand, "We are girlfriends after all!"
  "Yeah," she agreed, smiling just as much as I am as she kisses me on the cheek, "And nobody's going going to stop that."
  "Never." I say,
  "Never." She says and we walk away with our hands linked, looking like a scene from a bad movie; but one with a happy ending, one where no matter what anyone says, the couple are happy. We are happy. And I know it's going to stay this way.