Chapter Twenty Seven

I think this song matches this chapter. What do you guys think? :) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty Seven 

We're Going to Let It Burn

I couldn't think with two sets of fangs injected into my neck. The chillness of their lips pressed against me as they drank from my veins. My stamina and confidence were fading away. I needed to do something quick before I was powerless--or worse, dead. Desiree's lips released from my throat. 

"This isn't working," she complained to Meriada.

Meriada grunted after releasing her lips from my throat. "I guess we're going to have to go through with Plan B."

"Wh-what's Plan B?" I stuttered. 

"Desiree, you know what to do," said Meriada. 

"Wh-What is she going to?" I asked.

Desiree's hand slowly constricted around my throat as the air escaped me. She pulled me up the wall, leaving my feet dangling in the air and my throat aching from the stretch of gravity. 

Meriada snapped her fingers. My eyes widened when my own mother stood before me, except she didn't have the ropes and tape around her like the previous time. Her face was pallid and drained, her brown hair disheveled. It appeared as if she hadn't eaten in days. Some vampire must’ve been feeding on her. I presumed Meriada, but I had no evidence for that. 

Our eyes leveled. Hers were no longer luminescent and lively. A wave of despair swept over me as I sunk my teeth into my bottom lip to stop myself from tearing up. I had a sense of what Meriada was going to do to my mother. 

"What are you going to do to her?" I cried to Meriada.

"Drinking from you didn't work; let's see if threatening your mother's life does," Meriada threatened, smirking.

"Why do you want to hurt me so badly?" I brought my stare from Meriada to my mother. "She knows. She knows about me!"

Meriada placed her hand on Desiree's shoulder. "Desiree, you're free to do what you want now, my dear."

Taking one last glance at me, Desiree grinned maliciously and headed out. 

Once Desiree was gone, Meriada spun back around to face me.

"Now, where were we?"

My mother didn't respond. It was as if she didn’t hear me. 

"Who did this to her? Was it you?" I said to Meriada. 

A smile slipped among Meriada's face. I didn't care for the fact that she was getting to me. 

"Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't," she played, mocking me. Her deathly hand brushed my shoulder as she walked around me. I shivered, coldness hanging on her skin like an invisible coat. 

I asked nothing else. The triumphant smirk that displayed itself said it all. I breathed heavily, trying not to let her get to me any further. I was going to kill her. I spun around again as she breezed by me and stood near my mother.

"It would be most unfortunate if something were to happen to your mother. As you see, she doesn't have much life left in her after all." 

I clenched my fists tight. "Get. Away. From. Her." 

I didn’t know how to start, but I guessed maybe if I thought hard enough on knives stabbing Meriada in the heart, maybe it would come true? 

I shut my eyes and concentrated. Nothing happened. The only way to make her leave was to give her what she wanted.