15. Daddy

"Read my mind."

Three words. I look at Ridge, his head resting in one hand, and his bright, green eyes drilling into my darker ones, as if daring me to argue with him.

I did.

"Ridge, I can-"

"Shh, just do it, Sabastian. Reading my mind and controlling them are two entirely different things, like I said. I trust you not to get the two confused. Now." He smirks at me. "Read my mind."

I trust you.

It seems that those are the only words that I needed to hear, because almost instantly I found myself nodding my head in agreement.

"I'll try, Ridge. Just tell me if you think something might be wrong, and I will stop, okay?"

He simply rolls his eyes, and straightens up, squeezing my fingers, which were still entwined with his, in encouragement.

For the first time since I was a kid, I intentionally let my walls drop. I could feel them crumbling down, and faint whispers were teasing me, gently calling to me, then disappearing, only to return again. Instead of pushing then away like I was so used to, I let my mind pull the words closer to me.

"Sabastian."

I heard my name, and I knew that the clear voice was in my mind, so I kept pushing through all the muddled thoughts, and clung to that one voice.

Ridge's voice.

I pulled it closer, grasping onto it, and onto his other thoughts. Suddenly, I saw images flickering across my mind, and without needing to wonder, I knew that they were Ridge's memories, and I knew that they were from earlier today.

I could see Ridge, and he was talking with one of his friends, much taller than him. And Ridge was smiling. Blushing, even.

"Are you seeing anyone..."

"... His name is Sabastian."

I feel a smile pulling at my own lips as I watch Ridge.

"...Do you want to go on a double date with me and my girl?"

".. He's not ready for that yet..."

When I feel a gentle squeeze on my hand, I can feel my walls forcing themselves back up, painfully blocking out Ridge's thoughts, and memories.

"I'm sorry, Ridge. Did I hurt you?"

I look at Ridge, worry making ym body stiff.

"I'm fine, babe. You were starting to look flushed. I didn't know if you were seeing my dirty dreams."

After he gives me a wink, and I am sure he is okay, I simply sit and look at him, truly taking in the sight before me.

His eyes were bright, and held years of stories and laughter in them. His cheeks and nose were both covered in a light dusting of freckles that contrasted with his beautiful tanned skin. His soft lips were curved up at one side, in an ever-present sensual grin. He blinked, looking slightly up at me through impossibly long, dark eyelashes that brushed his high cheekbones.

Within that moment, right after blinking up at me, and his smile shifting from something sensual to something full of wonder, I realize something. Sitting across from was Ridge, a beautiful, openhearted guy, with shining eyes, a contagious laugh, and an attitude to attract anyone. Who could choose any guy- or girl, and have a chance, but chose me instead.

Me, with my timid personality and odd quirks. British accent and mind controlling abilities. Ridge, who would let me read his mind, because he trusted me not to lose control over my power. He trusted me not to hurt him.