1. Until Now

I look around the gorgeous campus, and I know that if nothing else, I will enjoy the scenery. Taking a deep breath in, I take in the scent of the cherry blossom trees that you could smell from anywhere on the campus. The trees were everywhere, and anytime the wind blew, petals would fall gently from the sky to the ground.

I wish mom could see this every day. I smile, thinking of my mother, who was back home, in Missouri. I think of all the plants she has around the house, and the beautiful garden she has worked on over the years. And I know that this campus was a big part of the reason she wanted me to go here. That, and they had a brilliant music program.

Liberal Arts Academy of Illinois.

I take another deep breath, and make my way to my first class of the day, bringing the strap of my messenger bag higher up on my shoulder, and sliding my black rimmed glasses up my pale nose.

...

By the end of the day, I've discovered that Piano was going to be my favorite class, and American Literature was going to be my least favorite. I love literature. And books. And just reading in general. But there was a certain dark haired someone that couldn't keep their sassy comments to themselves.

And one sassy, dark haired someone who made me test every ounce of self-control I had. It took everything in me not to reach into his mind and hear just exactly what he was thinking. And I hated not having control. Especially when I had no control over that.

I sit in the back of most of my classes. Mostly so I am sure not to bring too much attention to myself. I like people, and it is for that reason I choose to stay away. The closer I am to someone, the easier it is for me to hear their way of thinking. The easier it is for me to understand what thoughts go with which feelings. And once I've learned so much about a person, it is only fair of me to tell them what I can do.

And I can't do that. I can't tell anyone.

I huff out a sigh of frustration as I make my way across the small campus to my car. Along the way I pass a large fountain, and I am hit with light drops of water that splash from it. I wipe my glasses off as I go, and when I make it to my car I hear something that piques my interest.

When I turn around to discover just what that something is, I realize that turning around isn't going to help me. Because what I was hearing were thoughts.

I spin around, trying to find the person the thought belonged to, and trying to push them out, ignoring them even though I could still hear them. I don't want to hear. I need to leave. I search around me frantically, but there are only a few people near me. A couple girls talking and laughing, and one other person. Him.

I turn around again quickly, and I go to my car, unlocking it as I go. With my long legs, I make it there quickly.

I slide into the driver's seat gracefully, and my messenger bag lands with a quiet thud into the passenger seat beside me. I lean into the steering wheel, with my head in my hands. It hurt. I had never experienced thoughts so loud. And this was the first time in a long time that I had been able to listen to someone's thoughts without doing it on purpose. I was scared, because I had been practicing ever since I learned about what I could do. I had to teach myself not to use my power. My gift as my mother would call it. I couldn't betray the people around me in that way. I couldn't betray their trust.

Trying to push the thoughts away again, I could feel a light pressure behind my temples, and I fumbled in my glove box as I searched for something. Anything that would distract me from the thoughts I tried so hard not to listen to.

When I finally found a suitable disk, I slipped it into my cd player, and turned the volume up.

As the first few notes of the piano softly filled my car, I backed out of my parking space, and left the lot. And slowly, the boy's thoughts were pushed from my mind; by the distance, and by the calming, skillful music that was putting that part of my mind at rest for the time being.

When his thoughts are completely gone, I sigh in relief, and keep the music on, just to make sure I don't hear anyone else while in this state.

I can't let that happen again. I have to fight it. I have to.

When I reach my apartment, I open the door. I drop my keys into a dish on a small table right next to the door, and I remove the grey sweater from my arms, hanging it on a rack of dozens of other sweaters. Without any conscious decision to do so, I go to the kitchen and immediately begin to brew myself some tea.

Once the tea is finished, I pour myself a steaming cup, and drinking it, I take a seat at my piano- dark red wood, and beautiful ivory and coal colored keys. I sigh as I gently place my fingers on the keys beneath me, and without my consent, they begin to move, filling the room with my music.

...

Music. It all leads back to that same thing. I could hear people's thoughts because I could hear the music they had in their minds. There is no other explanation. Because I can hear music, I can hear their thoughts like music. Because I can create music, I can use music to control their thoughts. To control their minds.

I can take a person, and I can bend them completely to my will. Mercilessly. It would be so easy for me. So simple. All it took was a few notes, and they were completely under my power. My will became theirs, and they couldn't do anything about it.

And it is for this reason that I stay away. At first it began with just hearing things when I was little. Around three or four. Only hearing words that no one else could hear. And it slowly became different. I noticed that if I wasn't getting my way, I could hum low, under my breath, and then I would get my way. I would have to.

It wasn't until I was around eight or nine that I realized how dangerous I was. How dangerous I was to so many people. And they didn't even know it.

I decided at a young age that I would never use that power against someone else again. Ever.

And ever since then, even at nineteen years old, I haven't.

Until now.

...

WOW! How exciting! Here is the first official chapter of Dangerous Lies! and I'm LzzyLove! I'm excited to co-write this story, and I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter!