Chapter 12

Authors note: Dang its already chapter 12, so sad :( that means there's only 3 more chapters after this to close up my first completed book. Anyways enjoy :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 12

   They shut the door, cutting me off from my only real light source. A scuffling sound caused me to jerk my head left and right, giving myself momentary wipe lash. “It’s just mice. It’s just mice,” I repeated over and over again to calm my wild breathing.

   I curled my feet to my chest and sucked in a sharp breath. The air smelled of mildew and of something rotten, this made me nauseous. My confinement only allowed me enough room to lay flat on my back with my head touching one side of the cage and my feet touching the other. The bars themselves were rusted and cold to the touch, the cheap metal peeling away to reveal its ugly undercoat.

   My eyes adjusted to the basement’s poor lighting enough for me to begin taking in my surroundings. To my left and right sat rows of cages similar to my own. All of them appeared to be empty but unsettling gurgling noises followed by a moan made me assume otherwise. “Who’s there?” I called to the darkness with as much strength as I could muster.

   “The name is Ophelia,” the darkness answered back, “and your name child?” she asked with a sudden wet cough.

   “Amber,” I crocked. There was a shuffling sound and a few murmurs I couldn’t place.

   “Amber its Izabelle,” the young voice of my new friend practically squealed.

   I leaped to the bars of my cage, “Izabelle what are you doing here?”

   “I had a vision,” there was a smile in her voice, “Nickolas found me when I woke up and I told him he was going to hell where he belonged. He asked me how I knew and I told him I saw it so he threw me in here with Ophelia, which is the only other person who knows, so we couldn’t tell you.” She giggled, “funny huh?”

   “Why do you say that?” I held back a little giggle.

   “He didn’t want me to tell you my vision yet he stuck you in a cell near me,” she was laughing wildly now and I used it to pin where her cell was. It was in a far corner but close enough that I could make out a faint outline. “I swear the master’s pretty stupid for an all-powerful angel. I’d say he’s more of a washed up want to be.”

   A thumping sound preceded the statement as well as Izabelle’s voice asking what it was for, “Hush little one,” Ophelia’s voice scolded, “the walls have ears, and by devil I will not allow your flapping gums to get you killed.”

   “Sorry Ophelia,” she partly whispered. I peered down at the ground, and for the first time since I met Jonathon, pure hopelessness set in.

   “Maybe it doesn’t matter,” I whispered. The words felt hot in my throat and in the silence they only seemed to intensify.

My hair, sticky and matted with sweat, hung limply around my face like a drape. My eyes brimmed with tears as I thought of what all this actually meant for me. My father wanted me dead; my mother had become a puppet. I had a twin brother I’d never meet and sisters. I was engaged to Rafael but was in love with Jonathon. Jonathon, I thought as my heart caught in my throat, I might never get to…

   “What doesn’t matter?” Izabelle asked, suddenly, interrupting my train of thought.

   “All of this,” I gestured weakly knowing she couldn’t see my, “fighting against my father’s wishes. I mean he’ll eventually just take my so called powers and marry me off to Rafael.” I let the tears finally fall at that final statement and just watched them hit the ground through blurry eyes.  

   “No!” Izabelle yelled from the other cage. The raddling of her bars suggested she was shaking them, “you can’t give up, you’re the chosen one! You’re meant to do more than just kill your father.” The door to the basement swung open to reveal Nickolas and a few guards. They stepped down the steps quickly and reached Izabelle’s cage within seconds. I lunged to the bars of my confinement as they unlocked Izabelle’s cage and threw her over the shoulder of one of the men, all the while, kicking and screaming.

   “Izabelle!” I yelled.

   “Don’t give up! You’re the chosen one!” she screamed as they carried her and Ophelia away, “So it’s for told, so it shall come to pass…” She was gone then, the door shutting behind her, leaving me, once again, in the dark.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vote, Comment, follow <3

love, zombiekat