Chapter 7

Chapter 7

   “I’m sorry to interrupt miss,” a little dark brown haired girl said shyly as my stood at her door, a dress bag in hand, “Master just instructed me to bring you your gown for tonight and to direct Rafael to the master’s study.” Even as she spoke Rafael’s hands went slowly back to his sides and he slowly and silently slunk away from me. I reached out my hand in protest but he just bowed politely to me and the dark haired girl before he left. I glanced down at my casted arm in disgust.  “Miss. Ronald?” the girl stepped forward, setting the gown bag on the bed before continuing, “If that arm is stable we could have your cast removed by our castle doctor.” I nodded and looked over at the gown.

   “So that’s what father wants me to wear?” I inquired looking down at my already fancy attire. The girl nodded, “I don’t see a point, I mean I’m already dressed up.”

The girl shook her head, letting her shoulder length dark brown hair to bob side to side, “Things in this castle are… different,” she smiled a knowing smile, “You’ll get used to it though. Now come on and let’s see about getting that cast off of you before dinner.”

   The girl smiled shyly as she lead us down another series of hallways then down two flights of stairs, and down another hallway before she uttered a word, “So I know this isn’t any of my business and you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to but when I walked into your chambers you weren’t about to do what I think you were with Rafael were you?” She perked up next to me hoping for an answer but her whole body shuddered as if the thought repulsed her.

   “If you mean I was about to kiss him then yes,” I said awkwardly looking down at the eager young girl. She just gave me a thoughtful look. “You’re not a vampire too are you?” I asked with an almost light voice, than added a nervous fake laugh.

   “No!” the girl said defensively and a little loud, I saw a maid staring and the little girl must have too because she lowered her voice, “I mean of course not. There are only three vampires that allowed on these ground. Nolan, Trish, and of course Rafael, they’re not quite servants but they’re all indebted to the master in some way… well all of them except Rafael,” she tapped her finger on her chin, “I still haven’t figured out why he hasn’t left yet. I would if I could.” A bit of bitterness edged her voice.

   “So why don’t you?” I asked nudging her softly.

   “It’s a long story,” she smiled shyly.

   “I’ve got time,” I grinned. The little girl sighed and told her a story she had keep to herself all her life.

   “My mother was a witch and my father a poor tradesman. We travelled all over the continent in search of what my papa called our fortune, anyways one day we came across this castle. I was only about five but I could tell there was something wrong with this place, so I tried to tell my parents not to bother whoever lived in the house but of course they didn’t listen,” She sighed and leaned against a wall, “A servant by the name of Eftan opened the door and quickly alerted his master of our presence. I asked my ma one last time if she would leave this place, she just told me to hold my tongue and looked away. So we meet with the master, I thought he was so handsome and that maybe I had been mistaken for having such negative feelings towards this place but then he began to talk to father. They were trying to set up a fair price for the master’s mountain of gems. In the end father agreed to give the man all of my mother’s magic and my soul,” She began to sob quietly, “I watched my father walk away with the bag of gems while I clung to my mother’s leg. The master stood and my mother pushed me from her. I watched as he took every drop of magic from her body, and she turned to dust. When I screamed he slapped me then dragged me by my hair to the cook’s quarters. That’s where I meet Ophelia; she’s like a mother to me now. I cried for days on end in my little torn dress for my mother’s death and my father’s betrayal. To this day I still despise the master and envy those who are free. That was nine years ago.  Miss please do not tell your father what I’ve said today, I don’t think I can take being starved in the dungeon for a week.” She looked genuinely scared.

   “Don’t worry you’re not the only one who doesn’t like him,” I smiled.

   The girl gave a look of relief and smiled, “You know I still don’t know your name,” she stated as she started to walk again.

   “Amber,” I smiled. The girl stopped dead in her tracks, “What’s wrong?” I asked.

She started walking normally again, “Nothing,” She shrugged, “Oh and I’m Izabelle,” She smiled, “With a Z.” I tried to shake my fears and have a normal conversation.

   “So Izabelle with a Z, where are we headed?” I asked.

   “We’re already here,” Izabelle grinned as she opened the door.

   I entered a room with empty cots lining the walls. At the end of the room sat a man with his back to them, looking out the large Plexiglas window. Izabelle cleared her throat and he turned.

   I quickly found that the doctor was a man of few words. He gestured for me to sit on one of the cots, and took quick x-ray. After only ten minutes I was leaving the doctor’s off and heading back to my room, cast free.

   Izabelle opened the door and they strolled in. I grinned from ear to ear, twisting my newly cast free arm. On the bed lay Critter, tail wrapped around his entire body. I fought the urge to run and pick him up. After all he hated to be woken from his naps. Instead I turned my attention to the long dress bag Izabelle had brought in for me. Izabelle must have seen me watching it and guessed what I was thinking because she strolled right over to the package and unzipped it. Inside laid a long velvet dress.

Izabelle hit a button on the wall near the bedroom door and practically cheeped, “Now let’s get you ready!” Almost like on a cue three maids flooded the room.

   The next few hours consisted of having Izabelle and one other maid bathe me. Then the other two maids dried me while the eldest maid blew-dry my hair. After ten minutes of brushing out my hair they curled it and fashioned it back with a large gold clip. Two maids did her make up while Izabelle and the eldest maid rounded, polished and painted my nails. In the end Izabelle ordered all the rest of the maids to leave as she dressed me.

   The gown was even more gorgeous on me then it had been in the bag. Halter topped, it hung to my curves in all the right places, with an open v-shaped back. It just barely reached the floor with a single slit on the right side.

   “It’s beautiful,” Izabelle shrieked with excitement just as there was a knock at the door. I giggled wildly and danced around as she I the door.

   “Good day Miss. Ronald,” Rafael smiled as he handed me a bouquet of flowers and a small box, “These are for you,” he pointed to the box as I started to open it, “I hope you’ll wear it tonight.” Inside the box was a small pendant necklace shaped like a half crescent moon with a blue diamond center.

   “It’s beautiful,” I whispered looking down at it with extreme affection. I grinned up at him, and he took the necklace out of the box. He spun me around without any effort and I stood perfectly still as he clasped the delicate strands together. He whirled me back around and smiled, mostly to himself as I twisted the crescent moon with within my fingertips.

   “Promise me, you’ll wear it?” he asked taking my free hand.

  “I promise,” I smiled. He cupped my chin with his forefingers and kissed me suddenly and extremely light before leaving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vote, Comment, Follow <3

love, Zombiekat