Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I picked my way through the nearly empty corridor, trying my best to blend into the shadows. Being as I’d left Carnation some ways back in the corridors, I found myself not only looking forward but back behind me as well.

Carnation had been very stubborn in the whole situation, stating that she wanted to go with and that was final. After some tiresome persuading I figured the best thing to do in this situation was to just shake her. Now after 10 minutes of weaving in and out of corridors and ducking for the shadows more often than not, I might have managed to do just that. Phew, I thought, I’m finally-

“Wow Amber you really should watch where you’re going,” Rafael laughed as I knocked into him. He held me at arm’s length and smiled.

“Uh,” I tried shrugging off his grip, feeling even more uncomfortable with him after what had happened the previous time they had been alone, “You wouldn’t happen to know where Jonathon is?” He let go at that and stepped away.

“No I haven’t seen that nothing of an angel,” he sneered.

Woe, jealous much, I thought with a considerable amount of satisfaction and a bit of deeply buried pity. Fighting the twitch at the corner of my mouth, that was trying desperately trying to become a smile; I shook my head slowly before I spoke, “Well if you see him be sure to let him know I’m looking for him.”

If looks could kill, I thought, I would be long dead by now. This being because the look he gave me made him seem as if fire could shot out of his eyes at any moment. Not to mention his eyes were now the color of rusted blood.

“Why do you love that good for nothing angel?” he sneered as he grasped my wrist, “I can give you everything. I sat at your cradle when you were just a baby and sang soothing lullabies. You were never unhappy with me. You loved me, and I loved you.”

 A feeling of pure disgust washed over me like a wave in the cool waters of California once did. I wrenched my hand away, “I don’t love you, I love Jonathon. Why can’t you seem to understand that?” I screeched. My head swam with the sureness of my own statement. I loved Jonathon, I thought with a fearful glee.

“Nickolas promised, he’ll fix this,” he kept mumbling over and over again. I raised an eyebrow but it quickly lowered as I turned to run, Rafael was faster. He pounced on me, pinning my arms tightly to my sides, and then proceeded to drag me down the hallway.

“You’re crazy!” I screamed and thrashed about, “Let me go!”

“Nickolas will make you love me,” he stated this with so much sureness that I felt a shutter go down I spine.

He let go of my arms as he pushed me through the door, shutting it behind us. In fear and desperation I grabbed for the closest thing to me, which in this case happened to be a wooden figure of a woman with angel wings, about the size of my palm. Not much of a weapon but I threw it, as hard as I could, at him.

He took the blow right in his chest without as much as a hint of pain in his features. Even his eyes remained blank and unreadable. The figure on the other hand now lay, on the wood floor, in two sharp pieces.

In every vampire movie I’d even seen, which was quite a lot because I was a huge paranormal buff, they always had one thing in common vampires can die from a stake in the heart. A look of realization shattered Rafael’s stone demeanor as he dove towards the two halves, just before I could reach them, kicking them out of the way.

I scrambled forward but a hand gripped my shoulder and roughly pulled me away from my only real weapon.

“Amber what do you think you’re doing?” Fully righted, I glanced forward and realized Rafael wasn’t the one holding me. I turned my head to the side slightly. Nickolas, my head screamed, this is so not good! “Answer my question child,” he demanded.

“I uh… I-“

“She was trying to get out of marrying me by killing me,” Rafael interrupted with a growl. I turned back at him, fear screaming in my eyes.

“And why would you do that?” Nickolas growled, yanking me backwards quickly.

“Because-” I whimpered.

“Because she’s in love with the wretched guardian, Jonathon,” he hissed.

“No!” the scream left my throat before I could even think to stop it, but it was too late, Nickolas’s face registered that he’d finally put the pieces together.

I felt the full force of his kick as it connected with the back of my knee, causing my legs to give out under me. I fell flat on my face. “Ow,” I moaned as he jerked my arms behind my back and pulled me up. Nickolas pulled me, roughly, back down the hallway in which we came down a set of stairs and into the darkness.

~~~~

   Aurora landed just outside the borders of Nickolas’s estate. With careful stride she picked her way through the underbrush and in between the dense trees. “Amber where are you?” a little girl continuously screeched. She followed her voice to the edge of a massive garden.

   “Little one, you looking for Amber?” Aurora questioned.    

   The little girl spun around and looked very much terrified, “Uh… Yes.”

“Maybe we should look together,” she suggested gently and held out her hand.

She glanced up at Aurora through a thin layer of wavy brown hair, “My name is Carnation,” she smiled and took her hand.

~~~~

   He pushed me roughly into a tiny cell at the back of the basement. “This is where you belong, you lying bitch,” Nickolas spat. He slammed the door and locked it. Rafael tried to reach through the bars, his fear mirroring my own.

   “Rafael!” he said firmly, “Leave her be.” His hands snapped to his sides, curling tightly into fists.

   “It will be over soon enough,” he said through clenched teeth. Then he turned on his heels and walked away with Nickolas close at tow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vote, comment, follow <3

love, zombiekat