Chapter Four

VLB
Chapter Four:

...

*Three weeks later*

Aspen

I've be having this in usual pressure in my stomach and my jeans are getting a little tight.

I shrugged my shoulders and walk out to the living room where Gracen was watching TV. She looked up at me and smiled probably because this is the first time I've been out of my room in weeks and I actually decided to look cute today. Maybe me and Grace could go to the mall and shop. I feel like I'm actually worth what I am today.

"Wanna go shopping?" I asked as I grabbed my purse and keys.

"Sure?" She asks smiling but confusion obvious on her face.

"Cool. We're leaving in thirty minutes." I smiled and turned to the kitchen to get some food.

I'm really in the mood for some pancakes. But I'll just stick with an apple.

"Hey Asp, turn around and look at me please?" Gracen asks. So I turn around and raise an eyebrow.

"Yeah?" I asked confused.

"Did you and that Justin guy use protection?" She asks me. Suddenly I feel self conscious.

"Uh. N-no.. why?" I ask stuttering a little bit.

"Oh god. We don't have time to wait thirty minutes. Come on. We're leaving now." She grabs my wrist and pulls me outside.

"Gracen! Slow down. You're gonna break my arm!" I holler at her.

She didn't slow down, instead she sped up, and she just about killed me while pushing me into the car to hurry up.

"Gracen! What the hell is your problem?" I ask as soon as she gets into the car.

"My problem? No honey. It'll be your problem if it's true. Do you not see it? Has your stomach been hurting? Have you been craving anything? Have you had your period yet?" She asks with only one breath.

"Oh my god.. no. That's not possible." I whisper as the realization of what was going on finally clicked in.

We pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car.

"C-can I go in alone and get it?" I ask Gracen. But she shakes her head.

"You need my help. And I'm going to help you. As your best friend I will help you. Come on." She gets out and I slowly get out.

When we go in, I follow Gracen because I've never had to buy a test before. She has. She knows which one is better. And she knows how to ignore all the strange looks from people.

I'm only a sophomore in college. I cannot be pregnant. It's not okay.

"Come on Aspen. I have it." She says, and I follow her to the cash register.

After we bought the test, we walked to the car.

The ride home was quite. But I knew she was keeping it that way for me.

She reached over and squeezed my knee in a way to showed that she cared.

I looked over and smiled at her.

We pulled into the house parking lot. I got out and rushed into the house. When I walked inside I just about ran into the bathroom and locked the door.

As much as I knew she was trying to be there for me, I wanted to do this alone.

I read and then followed the directions. I set a timer on my phone for five minutes then sat in the bathroom and waited.

My timer went off and I swear my heart stopped when I looked at the stick that could change my life forever.

It all makes sense now. The cramps in my abdomen, the unusual pain, the cravings, and my late period.

I was pregnant. With a child whose father is an asshole. And I didn't even know his last name to tell him that he's going to be a father.

I unlocked the door, opened it then walked to Gracen.

"Well?" She's asks while looking down at her phone.

She looks up and gasps. "Oh honey. It's going to be okay. I'm here for you. You'll be a great mommy." She pulls me into a hug and that's when I let all the tears fall.

My life just got way harder.

"Listen to me Asp, things may not go as planned in life, I know you wanted to finish college and then find the right guy and possibly get married. I also know that having children was what you really wanted ever since we were kids we would always play with the baby dolls acting as if we were grown. This baby right here," she pointed to my stomach making me look down and place my hands on it. "that baby is possibly going to be the best thing that has ever happened in your life, whether it was planned or not. That baby is going to make your day 100 times better each and everyday it grows in you. It's going to be stuck in there for months and then finally at the end of it all you'll get to finally call them yours, you'll get to hold the little tiny human you created and help grow into the proper baby it was meant to be." By this point years were falling down my eyes. I may think that it was a mistake that night but the baby isn't the mistake, giving myself to Justin is.

"I should call and make an appointment." I told Gracen, but she just stood there and smiled at me.

"What?" I took a few steps back.

"Oh. My. God. My best friend is having a baby. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" I pressed my hands to my ears in hope to block out her screaming but sadly it didn't work.

I just grabbed my phone and walked into he kitchen dialing my doctors office.

"Hello, this is Dr. Marshal's office how can I help you?"

"Uhm, yes I was hoping I can make an appointment." I said in the receiver.

"Yes ma'am, name?"

"Aspen Little"

"Okay, Ms. Little, I have you scheduled for Friday at 9:00 a.m. Is that okay?"

"Yes ma'am thank you."

"No problem hun, have a nice day!"

"Okay, you too!" I hung up the phone after while cleaning on the counter I let out a deep sigh. I smiled thinking that I will possibly get to see my baby in two days!

....

PUBLISHED:

December 11, 2016