Sleep

word count - 646

You were tired, physically and mentally. All you could think about was taking a nap, part of you doesn't want to wake up after. The worlds gone to shit and you're in it alone. Sure, you have a group, but theres no one that quite understands the pain and sorrow you go through every day.

Your whole family died, and you blame yourself for it. Of course, if you saw each and every member of your family literally getting ripped from your grasp trying to save you, you'd blame yourself, too.

You roll on your side and your eyes started to shut. And slowly you went to sleep, finally. You've been lacking in sleep ever since you lost your family. Just one thought back to those horrible memories, and you wont be able to sleep for weeks, but somethings different now.

You're actually getting sleep, like actual sleep. Just before, you were thinking about the memories again. Whats different this time?

The sound of a crying Judith played throughout the prison halls and echoed into your room. You jump and your eyes flew open. Then you noticed something, there was an arm around your waist. Turning around, you notice a peacefully sleeping boy cuddling you slightly. It was kind of dark but you could still make out some details like the brown hair and a sheriffs hat laying flat just above his head.

"Wait.", you whisper. "Sheriffs hat?", your face lit up as you realize that this boy was none other than Carl, the leaders son. Knowing who he was, you marked him 'off limits' to anything that involved you. You jump out of the bed and light the candle on your desk in the corner. Thumping the boys head, he turns over and slowly opens his beautiful blue eyes. 'No, not beautiful. They're not beautiful.', you scold yourself and mentally slap yourself.

"What was that for?", Carl asks.

You sit on the desk and look to him in annoyance, "How about the fact you were sleeping in my bed and while I was still in it."

Carl sits up, "Oh, that. Right." He stares at you for a moment while you wait for an answer.

"Um, hello?", you snap in front of his face.

"I came to comfort you."

Your expression was now confused, "What?"

Carl giggled, "Yea, you were mumbling in your sleep when I walked passed your door. I came in and you were moving around and saying how you didn't have anyone anymore."

"Soooo-?"

"Soooo-. I laid down by you and held your hand for a minute. You seemed to have stopped squirming, though. I guess I fell asleep a little bit after."

You look at your hands in your lap and whisper, "You helped me sleep?"

"What?", Carl asked.

You look to the boy putting his hat back on his head, "Nothing." You couldnt believe Carl was what helped you sleep. "Carl?"

"Yes?"

'Dont', you think to yourself. "Could you stay with me the rest of the night?" You mentally face palm, 'Idiot.'

A smile grows on his face, "I helped you sleep, didn't I?" You could feel yourself blush and you hear Carl laugh. He lays back down, scoots over to the wall and pats the empty space next to him, "C'mon."

You blow out the candle and lay next to Carl. He pulls the blanket over the two of you and wraps his arm around your waist. "You have me, Y/N."

You look up to his face, "What?"

"In your sleep, you were saying how you didn't have anyone. Well, you have me. I will always be here for you, ok?"

"Ok, Carl.", you reposition your head and close your eyes.

A few moments passed by and you were still a little bit awake. "I like you, Y/N.", Carl whispers. You smile and instantly fall back asleep.