twentytwo

'Guys, there's blood on this tree.' Glenn gulped as he shone his torchlight at the stump. I stomped over, huffing, and shone my torchlight at the stump as well.

'Is there any more tracks, Daryl?' I turned around and shone my torch in Daryl's face. He held his arm up to cover his eyes before shining his torch back in my face. He looked back down at the dirt and frowned, well frowned even more than usual.

'Yeah, we got some more tracks.' Daryl grunted in response. 'There was a little dust up right here.'

'What do you mean?' Glenn looked back, his eyes tearing away from the bloody tree and back into our eyes.

'It means something went down. Doesn't it?' I looked right at Daryl, he just shrugged his shoulders and grunted. I rolled my eyes and continued walking.

'It's getting weird.' Glenn whispered to me. I nodded my head in response and suddenly stopped walking after hearing a slight rustling noise. The growling started soon after and I shone my torch before stabbing the walker in the head. After the walker fell, I shone the light over the disgusting face.

Randall.

'You two. Look what I've found. Looks like there was trouble after all.' I stated smugly, Daryl turned around and walked over to me. He pulled his shirt out and checked all over his body before furrowing his brow.

'No bites.' He mumbled. I raised an eyebrow in concern, there wasn't any other possibility than that Randall died from a walker bite. That was the only way.

'Yeah, none that you can see.' Glenn spoke what I was thinking. I nodded my head in agreement while Daryl shook his head in disagreement.

'No, I'm telling ya. He died from this. A broken neck.' Daryl stated, pointing an arrow at his neck before catching my eye for a second.

'How is that possible?' I asked, my breath hitching as I spoke. This was all getting a bit too spooky.

*****

'Rick and Shane ain't back?' I asked as I walked through the door. Daryl followed and Glenn followed Daryl, he'd looked like he'd just seen a ghost. After he saw Maggie his face perked up though, he went straight over to her and clutched her close to his chest. Lori shook her head in response to my question.

'No, we heard a shot. Was it you?' Lori asked, I shook my head. We all heard a gunshot, that was why we came back. We thought it was coming from here.

'Maybe they found Randall.' She was trying to convince herself when Daryl stepped forward to break the news about the boy.

'We found Randall.' He started, everyone's expressions stiffened as they looked up to the archer.

'Is he back in the shed?' Carol asked, she had her arms folded as she kept her eyes on Daryl.

'Nah, he was a walker.'

'Did you find the walker that bit him?' Lori asked, worry etching through every part of her body.

'No, that's the weird thing. He wasn't bit, his neck was broke.' I finished, Daryl looked at me and I just looked back at him for a few seconds before looking back to Lori.

'So he fought back?' Carol responded in confusion. I shrugged my shoulders.

'The thing is, Shane and Randall's tracks were right on top of each other. And Shane ain't no tracker, so he didn't come up behind him.' Daryl explained, he slung his crossbow further on his back. 'They were together.'