fifteen

'Haleigh, what happened to your hand?' Dale mumbled as I opened the car door slowly and took in the whole of the camp looking towards the car. I looked down at my hand where I cut myself to distract the walkers. I shrugged my shoulders before looking up again and grinning sadly.

'Walker distraction.' I stated before walking through the crowd and greeted by Daryl. I smiled at him and he gave back a half sided smile, the best he could do.

'Ye brought him back?' Daryl mumbled, looking down at his crossbow. I nodded my head.

'He went to school with Maggie, we couldn't risk it.' I said. 'But Shane -- he's unstable, Daryl. He's a danger, Daryl. And I don't know what to do.'

I looked over to where Shane was shoving Randall into the barn and I looked back at Daryl. He shrugged his shoulders before turning his head to face me.

'I'm gonna talk to the boy, go get your hand fixed up.' Daryl mumbled before walking over towards the barn. I sighed in frustration before walking up the house.

I was greeted by Hershel and Beth. I smiled at Beth before slowly walking up to her, Hershel smiled up at me and Beth returned the favour.

'Hey, you feeling okay?' I asked Beth, still smiling. She nodded her head before Hershel noticed my hand. He pointed his head towards it and I cradled my hand to my chest before explaining.

'It was a distraction for the walkers, it was a close call. So I cut my hand and distracted them with the blood.' I explained, Hershel raised his eyebrow before grabbing his first aid kit and disinfecting it before wrapping it up in a bandage.

'All done, Haleigh. Please be careful in the future.' He said, shutting his first aid kit and placing it back on the shelf where he got it from. I smiled at him before hopping off my seat and heading to the door.

'I will, Hershel. Thank you.' I said before heading outside. I looked around and decided to take a detour to my tent, past the barn so I could look in on Randall. As I passed the barn I could hear him whimpering and the grunts of Daryl on the other side. I peeked my head around and saw Daryl pacing back and forth angrily as Randall sat there, handcuffed and scared.

'I told you --'

'You ain't told me shit!' Daryl spat in anger.

'I barely know these guys. I met 'em on the road.' Randall muttered his words quickly, daring to look up as Daryl stopped his pacing.

'How many in your group?' Daryl said, I noticed his hands were all bloody and noticed Randall's face was the same. Randall kept his mouth shut as he kept his gaze with Daryl's before Daryl's fist came into contact with Randall's face.

'30.' Randall said quickly.

'Where?'

'Uh... I don't know. I swear, we were never staying in one place more than one night.' Randall said a bit more calm than before.

'Scouting? Did ya plan on staying local?' Daryl asked referring to the night we brought Randall back to the farm for the first time.

'They left me behind, I don't know.' Randall mumbled. Daryl knelt down next to him and took out his knife and put it on his leg.

'Ever picked off a scab? Start real slow at first, sooner or later you just gotta rip it off.' Daryl teased. I opened the door widely before coughing, grasping Daryl's attention.

'Let me try and talk to him.' I stated calmly. Daryl stood up and hesitated at first before nodding his head and walking out.

'I'll be right outside if ye need me.' He whispered in my ear as he passed. I nodded my head slowly before walking forward and kneeling down near the boy.

'Okay.' Randall sighed in relief.

'Your group?' I asked him, he understood what I wanted him to do as he nodded his head quickly. His bruised face was purple and yellow as he had been punched that many times.

'They have weapons. Heavy stuff and automatics.' Randall started. 'But I didn't do anything.'

'Your boys shot at our people, tried to take this farm. You just went along for the ride? You're trying to tell me you're innocent?!' I snapped angrily.

'Yes!' Randall sighed in frustration. 'These people took me in, not just guys -- a whole group of 'em. Men and woman, kids too. Just like you people. Thought I'd have a better chance with them. One night, we went out to scavenge and we came across this man and two daughters.'

I cringed as I knew where this was going and my fists curled up as I gestured for him to continue.

'They were teenagers, real cute too. Their daddy had to watch while these guys -- they -- and they didn't even kill them afterwards. They just made him watch as his daughters --'

I cut the boy off as I punched him in the face and with that I walked out, just as Daryl had said he was stood there waiting for me to leave.

'I should've killed him today.' I spat at him, Daryl raised an eyebrow before nodding and walking back inside.

What he did disgusted me, even with the world as it was it was disgusting. No one should ever go through that. I looked down at my bandaged hand and noticed blood had started seeping through the bandages, I shrugged at it as the mere sight of blood didn't scare me anymore.

Was I scared of anything anymore?