Remember to always smile

It becomes a pattern the next few runs. Frisk leaves, finds Sans, they talk, she solves the traps which are getting easier, she meets Sans and Papyrus, she dies. A few times her and Flowey almost get past the skelebros and sometimes they both die right away. All the same Papyrus kills her and Sans watches from a safe distance. Always just watches, nothing more.

The left side of Frisk's neck and cheek are covered in soft golden buttercups. There's always a new one after every death. "Stay Determined" the voice in Frisk's head repeated. "You need to stay Determined thru thick and thin. You are the hope of humans and monsters". Frisk hopes  that her determination can help her get thru this damn Underground. She wants to see the blinding sun again, breathe fresh air, and to be safe from this hell.

Once, Frisk tried to find another way out of Snowdin without Flowey. You know like another route, it worked with Toriel. Or maybe if Frisk was determined and lasted long enough she could probably convince Papyrus to let her pass. That didn't go so well. When she crossed the bridge, she didn't Flowey's roots to hoist her up when the bridge collapsed.

That was an unnecessary death that caused a flower to bloom Frisk's left eye. She shifts uncomfortably and touches her flower. It doesn't hurt, but it sure was annoying. She will never try that again.

Sans sometimes greets her and sometimes looks deep in thought. On those days, Frisk always offers to take him to Grillby's and stops at the inn to drop off Flowey. No use bringing him around when there isn't progress to make. Plus he absolutely hates Snowdin. He loves the warmth of the inn other than the freezing cold winter snow.

                                                                                                   (One day)
"Why do you offer?" Sans asks, he notices the flowers on Frisk's right palm leaving her fingers peeking.

"You looked sad," Frisk admits.

"Why does that matter to you?" Sans snarled.

"Dunno," she shrugs. "Just wanted to make you happy."

Sans gives Frisk a strange look and light blue blush crawling across his cheekbones. She chuckles.

                                                                                                                    ~

The flowers have now bloomed on three of Frisk's left fingers. Sans is the one to offer Grillby's first when he sees her. He didn't look sad or bored, just hopped off his stool and extend his hand towards her. Frisk doesn't hold his hand, but he doesn't look offended. 

Frisk passes the mustard and he hands her the ketchup. She still thanks Grillby when their food is served.

"Why do you always thank people?" Sans questions as soon Grillby walks away, a little brighter.

Frisk points at herself and tilts her head, confused.

"Yeah you, Sweetheart," Sans says pointing at her.

Frisk thinks for a moment on how to string the words together into a sentence.

"Be polite. People don't deserve to be- you shouldn't be rude to others," she responded, smiling.

"Doesn't mean you have to be polite all the time," Sans points out while frowning, "You don't even know anyone in Snowdin. You could just leave everything as it is and talk to no one."

"I could be rude to everyone... But that would be wrong and I want to be nice. Even though I don't have to." Frisk explained softly.

"Huh."

Sans eyed the human for a moment, but then rose his mustard bottle.

"Cheers," Sans announced to Frisk.

She giggles which is something she hasn't done in a long time. Raising her bottle of ketchup, she lets a smile form on her lips.

"Cheers," Frisk echos.