What About Now?: 12.

Start from the beginning

                “Can I have some juice?” she yawned.

                “Sure.” I replied, reaching up to get a glass.

                “Did we wake you sweetie?” Angie asked, walking across to pick her up.

                “No. Theo did. But he’s gone back to sleep now.”

                “Oh no.” she said in a child-like voice herself, stroking Ashlye’s head. I poured the juice while Angie placed her daughter down on one of the chairs. I passed it to the young girl and her fingers gripped around the cup tightly.

                “Thanks, Uncle Alex.”

                “It’s fine.” I replied, kissing the top of her head. I then muttered that I was going to get my bag ready and headed up to my own room to collect my things. I had to leave in an hour for college but really felt like not going in at all. I could try and pull a sickie but then thought not too. I didn’t want bad attendance already. I had been sneezing the best part of the night anyway but still, I didn’t want to let my students down all because I had had a fight. I took the stack of papers from the desk in my office – of which I had marked last night – and put them in my over-the-shoulder bag. I then collected the pencil case and planner I took out last night and picked up my heavy bag. I always used to joke with my friends that my bag was so heavy that I didn’t need to go to the gym like Toby or Garret, another friend of mine, ever did.

                A cough behind me pulled me from my thoughts and I turned around before looking down. I wasn’t used to having people interrupt me in my house because not many people came over so when I saw Theo I placed my hand over my heart. “Theo. You scared me.”

                “I’m sorry. Ashlye’s not in bed.”

                The kids, when I put them to bed, wanted to share and although my house was fairly big, I had two bedrooms – converting the third into an office for myself next to my room. Unlimitedly, the children had to share a large double bed in one room instead of having a room each. They didn’t seem to mind too much. 

                I shook my head. “She’s already awake and downstairs with your mom.”

                “Are you teaching us today?”

                “Uh… no.” I smiled. “I have to go to college again today. It’s only Tuesday.”

                “It was nice staying at yours last night.”

                “You’re welcome anytime, Theo.” I replied. “Do you want some juice?”

                “Okay.” He replied, reaching up to take my hand. “Did mom have fun on her date?”

                “You know she went out on a date?” I asked, a little un-prepared for that question.

                “Yup.” He nodded. “I wasn’t really asleep in the car yesterday morning, you know?”

                “Theo…”

                “I don’t mind.” he shrugged. “Just don’t tell Ashlye.”

                I frowned. “Why not?”

                “She always wanted mom to date you.”