The Raven and the Robin

Start from the beginning

Caw! The raven looked down at the clearing below him, where a fallen berry lay. He scanned the clearing once, twice, and Robinpaw dared not breathe.

The raven dove down toward the berry, alighting on the ground and pecking at it with quick, jerky movements. Robinpaw crept closer, and when she felt she was close enough, leapt.

CAW!

Robinpaw's paws landed a whisker away from the bird, which immediately alighted and flew back to his perch.

Robinpaw sighed. Well, I'm sure I'll find more birds. I won't let this failure get me down!

~----------------------------------------~

Robinpaw was sore, tired and irritated. If anyone were to talk to her, she'd probably snap at them with a Quailpaw-esque retort. No wonder she's like that all the time. If she does this every day...

It was sunhigh, and Robinpaw still hadn't caught a single bird. She'd spent ages tracking one, finally gotten close enough, only to pounce too slowly. And she hadn't seen a bird since.

I'm pretty sure there is only ONE bird in all of FloraClan, Robinpaw sighed. And I already missed it.

Regardless, Robinpaw kept as silent as possible, glancing below her to make sure her paws didn't snap a twig and her tail didn't brush a branch.

Suddenly-- a flutter of wings; a flash of brown and red.

Robinpaw's ears pricked as the robin darted down unto the ground, snatching up some kind of insect and gulping it down. Robinpaw crept closer...closer...

The tip of Robinpaw's tail brushed the foliage, and the bird jerked its head in her direction. Its wings immediately flashed out at the sight of the silver she-cat and it pushed off the ground.

No! I can't let this one get away!

With the biggest leap that she had ever attempted, Robinpaw launched off the ground at the fleeing robin. One claw snagged the bird, and the silver tabby almost let out a yowl of accomplishment as it faltered and fell to the ground. Padding up to it, she quickly ended its misery with a bite to the neck.

Thank the Sun and Moon. At least I didn't end up with nothing.

She glanced back at the sky. Do I have time to keep looking..?

"Robinpaw?"

The cry was faint, but it was definitely there. Picking up her bird and tucking it under her chin, she began walking towards the voice. "Yes?"

Quailpaw padded into view, her stiff walk relaxing slightly as she caught sight of her companion. She looked to tired to even yell at her. Dropping her prey at her feet, the tortoiseshell winced at the soreness of her muscles. "What'd you get?" she asked, gesturing weakly at Robinpaw's catch.

"Just a robin." The silver trainee could feel her fur beginning to burn in embarrassment. She could see at least two birds at Quailpaw's feet, and she once again berated herself for missing that raven.

Quailpaw nodded and picked up her prey carefully, turning away and padding back towards the river. When Robinpaw hesitated, Quailpaw whipped back around. "Come on! Are you just going to stare at me or what? We need to get back to our mentors now."

Robinpaw picked up her robin and sighed. Apparently Quailpaw wasn't too tired to snap at her.

Hurrying up to match Quailpaw's quick pace, Robinpaw walked next to the other she-cat. She desperately wanted to know whether Quailpaw actually hated her or whether she was just angry at bird hunting, but she couldn't open her mouth. Finally, Quailpaw abruptly stopped moving, dumping her prey on the ground unceremoniously. "What is it? You look like a frog's about to hop right out of your mouth."

Robinpaw stopped as well, setting her bird on the ground carefully before turning to her denmate. How to phrase this...?

"Do you hate me?" Robinpaw blurted. Oh no. I didn't mean to say it all like that; I wanted to make less of an issue out of it and not be so blunt...she's going to be so annoyed.

To Robinpaw's surprise, instead of replying angrily, her companion exhaled sharply. "No, it has nothing to do with you."

Robinpaw tilted her head slightly in confusion. "Then what..?"

"None of your business!" Quailpaw snapped, snatching up her prey once more. "Come on, we're late already." She began stalking off so quickly that Robinpaw had to run to keep up.

Not long after, Robinpaw caught sight of the river, their mentors waiting patiently by it.

"Robinpaw," greeted Foxtail. "I'm impressed. You actually caught a bird!"

Robinpaw brightened for a moment at the praise, then hung her head as she remebered the raven.

"I missed another one," she mumbled.

Foxtail purred. "It's ok, Robinpaw. It's your first time hunting birds."

"Oh, you caught one! Great job, Robinpaw!" It was Thrushpaw, who had just come out of the woods as well. Setting down her catches carefully, she walked over to Robinpaw and examined her robin. "Nice kill, too. You hooked it out of the air, didn't you?"

Robinpaw licked her chest modestly. "Well, I startled it, and it started to fly away..."

"Still, excellent catch!"

"You did good as well," mewed Moletail, gesturing at the two birds at Thrushpaw's feet.

Thrushpaw flicked her tail in acknowledgement, turning to Quailpaw. "How'd you do?"

"Three," muttered Quailpaw.

Deerleg turned to her apprentice. "Why so gloomy? Those were all excellent catches. I was watching."

"You were?!"

Deerleg ignored Quailpaw's indignation. "Besides, I think you're done with bird hunting now. Won't be long until you're a full member."

Robinpaw repressed a purr as she saw Quailpaw's posture lighten and relax. She looks like she won't snap at me any second.

"Come on, Robinpaw! Let's get our catches in the freshkill pile!" Thrushpaw nudged Robinpaw's side with her tail. "Last one there is a frost-ridden frog!"

Purring, Robinpaw picked up her catch and took off after her friend down the river.

Being a Hunter is my dream come true, she thought happily. I'm glad I live in FloraClan.

Ember here! Yes, I finally posted another chapter! I hope you enjoyed :)

How do you guys like Quailpaw so far? Any guesses on why she's annoyed all the time? (Hint-- there are actually two reasons). I'm also sure some of you picked up a bit of a hint on how Robinpaw got her name ;) Yes, there was a reason.

Anyhow, just wanted to say thank you reading this book! 1K reads...never would've thought I'd get there! 

Also, extra thanks for those of you who submitted a form! That really means a lot to me :) Every one of those characters will be accepted in some way or form unless I PM you soon.