Four

"When John and I came here last time he started a fight with these really big men, when he threw a swing at them they both pushed into him and started dry humping him."

"That's hilarious!" I said choking on my soda.

It's been a week since Carol and I went on a run. A week of thunder, lightening, and torture. Lilly and I have been sleeping more then I was when I was home. Maybe it's the weather.

"Excuse me miss, may I please pet your dog?"

"Of course, just be easy please." I said forcing a soft, nice smile.

I watched as this, very smelly, man pet Lilly in an unpleasant way. I shot death glares at the woman staring at me, and she immediately pulled the guy away complaining.

"I win." I said smiling at Lilly.

Crossing my legs, I watched as Carol swayed in the sun to the beat of a soft song. I can't remember the last time we was together after the attack, we both never have time to drop our adult lives and travel to one another. I really missed my best friend...I miss my mother even more.

"Avery, please come dance with me. The sun will feel so good on your pale skin!" Carol said holding her hands out with a pleading look.

"I'm not that pale, I just never leave my house."

Setting my drink down I felt eyes on me, who is so obsessed with me that they have to follow me and my aunt to a bonfire. Do they not have anything else to do with their lives?

Brushing it off, I made my way over to Carol and smiled as she held my hands. This place really is beautiful, maybe I'll move in. Carol pulled me into her arms and started swaying us side to side.

"How would you feel if I moved in with you?" I asked Carol looking out at the ocean.

"You sure you could handle the California sun? And what about that job you love? Are you going to be able to leave all your friends?"

"Yeah, I love it here compared to Kansas. It is so peaceful and the sun feels so nice, plus there's an ocean right in front of me! We're supposed to be a pack, sure there's only two of us but we're family Carol. I'd rather be here then be somewhere alone with my dog. I can just find a new job here and move in with you." I said smiling.

"Yes! I'd love you to!" Carol said as tears smeared her mascara, "we must go get all your things from Kansas! I'll come too, road trip!"

This'll basically be a new beginning for me and Lilly. I'll be leaving everything behind, including the little boy. I wonder if he'll be at the library when we go home, I'll have to let Lilly say goodbye.

"Would you like a drink, Avery?" Carol asked as we walked back to where Lilly was sitting.

I nodded my head and gave her some cash before plopping down on my towel in the sand. Aunt Carol laughed and went to grab some drinks. I hope this is how it always is, I could get used to this feeling.

"Hi!" yelled a girl looking down at me

 "Uh hi, can I help you?" I asked putting my sunglasses on.

"I was just wondering if I could pet your doggy! He's so cute, and reminds me of my dog my family had growing up."

I nodded my head as the lady sat down in front of Lilly and started stroking her fur.

"Lilly is a girl by the way." I said watching them.

"Oh. I'm sorry Lilly, you're very beautiful." smiled the girl petting Lilly's coat.

I looked at the direction Carol left, all I could see were piles of people. Families gathered around bonfires, dudes surfing, kids running around making sandcastles and dogs running in the water. This really is a perfect place, everyone looks so friendly here.

"I've never seen you guys here, are you new?"

"We're visiting my Aunt Carol for a few days, but Lilly and I are thinking about staying." I said smiling at the girl.

"Awesome! My names Katie, my family and I have lived here my whole life. Would you like to be bestfriends? I know that's totally weird, we just met." Katie said laughing nervously.

"Sure Katie! I'd love to be your friend, Lilly loves you too!"

Katie laughed as Lilly licked her face and jumped on her. Lilly has never been happier, maybe California will be great for us.