One

Who doesn't have a clue
About where I am heading
Nor what I'm meant to do.
But time will not wait for me
And as the days go passing by,
One thing I know that I control;
It's up to me to try.

Smiling, I closed the small fragile book in my hand, and smiled to myself repeating the words my father read to me so many years ago.

"Close your eyes Lilly. The storm will pass soon." I whispered petting Lilly's soft ears.

I watched as her eyes closed, kissing her nose I covered her up and went to the bathroom. Undressing myself I hopped in the shower to wash off the ash from the fire. Rubbing the soap in my hair I looked at the shower wall remembering my father's words, I wonder how his life would've moved. I smiled as the thought wondered further, immediately I remembered aunt Carol. Maybe Lilly would want to make a roadtrip to California for Christmas.

"Lilly! Fetch the mail!" I yelled from the bathroom getting dressed. I laughed as she brought me the mail.

"Come on sweet girl." I said softly, snatching up the keys off the counter heading outside.

I opened the car door letting Lilly jump in, sitting down I turned the vehicle on and backed out of our driveway. I looked at Lilly looking outside, and turned on the radio. Immediately Daft Punk by Pentatonix blared into the speakers, turning to look at Lilly mocking the words she licked my face wagging her fluffy tail.

"Well Lilly, are you ready to go to work?" I asked driving down the road. Lilly made a small bark and wagged her tail, still looking out the window.

Lilly and I found each other when she was abandoned on the streets by her old owners, she's been my saving grace these past few months. Losing my father took a toll on my health, I miss him every day. I hope today is a better day.

.

.

.

Turning the car off, I opened my door and let Lilly jump down. Making our way to the library I was greeted by several children squealing over how fluffy Lilly was.

"Can I please pet him!" screamed a little red head.

"Of course." I smiled ordering Lilly to sit.

Lilly plopped her butt, immediately wagging her tail, still smiling I watched as three of the children hugged Lilly so close it looked like she was being smothered. Lilly nudged the little boy that refused to touch her dirty coat.

"No puppy, I'm not touching you. No one knows where you've been!"

"Lilly here is the kindest girl you could ever meet kiddo, she's clean and she won't hurt a hair on your little head." I said as I bent down beside the little boy, petting Lilly's head.

"But what if she bites me?"

"Lilly is a service dog sweetie, she won't bite you, I promise." I said softly, looking the little boy in the eyes.

I smiled as the little boy touched Lilly's head slowly, then clung onto her neck and started sobbing. The other kids started laughing, making jokes, and ran away. My heart sank.

"I'm late for my shift kiddo, how about we go inside and you can pour your heart out to Lilly, hm?" I said rubbing the boys back slowly.

"Okay. My names Gage, what's yours?" he said taking Lilly's leash, my hand in the other.

"I'm Avery, where's your parents?" I asked opening the library doors.

"Under dirt."

I stopped in my tracks with Gage's words. Under dirt? His parents are dead? Oh my gosh, no wonder he just broke down. Those girls must pick on him, this poor boy.

"I'm so sorry" I said bending down to his level, "I lost my papa six months ago, I understand the pain baby."

Gage smiled and gave me a tight hug before running over to the pillows with Lilly by his side. This sweet boy is all alone, I wonder where he stays. Gosh, how long has he been alone? I hope to see him again tomorrow.

.

.

.

Petting Lilly's head I listened to her breathing as I looked at the night sky. After getting home from the library, we decided it would be nice to relax under the stars. I just can't shake the little boys words...

"When I was two, my mommy and daddy got attacked by a bear. I never seen them again."

Sighing I tried to forget the boys words, and drifted off to sleep.