chapter 23

"Do you think she'll wake up soon?"

"Yes, I do believe so. Her potassium levels are back up to 5 milliquivalents per liter. However, it seems that her magnesium levels are still a bit below normal but that shouldn't affect much."

"Good, her boyfriend seems so worried. What a great guy, they must be really happy together and-oh! She's waking up!"

The hushed chatter of what I presumed to be the doctor and a nurse echoed from the corner of the room. A consistent beeping came from beside me and I slowly opened my eyes to reveal the stark white room. The familiar scent of baby powder and harsh cleaners filled my nostrils and my eyes quickly widened as I realized where I was.

I was in the hospital.

I sprung up in bed and the nurse quickly ran over to me, forcing me back down.

"Oh, it's alright, dear. I'm sure you're very confused right now but don't worry, you're being well taken care of."

"What...what happened?" I asked, propping myself up against the pillows. I tried to recall my memories of what had happened but all I could remember was my purple dress...

"Well, your boyfriend said he went to your apartment to see you and he found you covered in puke on your bedroom floor. That boy's awfully worried about you, he hasn't left the waiting room since you both got here."

Boyfriend?

"I can take it from here, Denise." Interrupted the doctor, giving a stern look to the nurse who quickly closed her mouth and exited the room. I gave her an apologetic smile as she closed the door behind her.

"So, what exactly happened?"

"You suffer from anxiety, correct?" He spoke, ignoring my question completely.

"Yes." I replied, becoming frustrated with this man's demeanor.

"Ah, yes. I think I know the cause." I rolled my eyes internally. "It seems to me that you began to have an anxiety attack so strong that you vomited. When you did so, it caused an electrolyte imbalance in your body which, in turn, led to you to passing out."

"Oh..." I said, not really sure how I could respond to that.

"Since your magnesium levels are still low, I'm going to prescribe you to some magnesium supplements to help raise them. This may also help reduce your anxiety as well." He continued, scribbling something on a piece of paper before ripping it off and setting it on the bedside table.

"So, when will I be released?" I asked, eager to get up and out of the stiff hospital bed.

"Well, after your boyfriend signs the release papers, you should be able to leave by this afternoon."

"Boyfriend", there it is again.

"Great, thank you." I replied, deciding not to bring the subject up. He gave me a short nod and walked out of the room as quickly as possible. It was no time at all before Denise came rushing back in. Denise was a plump, older woman who couldn't haven been older than 50 years old, I assumed. She had a wavy, grey bob and a pair of dark-rimmed, horned glasses that were perched on the bridge of her nose.

"Hi, hon. I'm Denise. How are you feeling? Any better?" She asked, rustling around in some drawers to my right.

"I feel alright, just a little run-down, I guess." I replied, rubbing the sleep away from my eyes.

"As to be expected." She smiled. "I'm just going to do a few routine procedures before we let your boyfriend come in to see you. He's pacing like a mad man out there." She chuckled, placing the strap of a blood pressure gauge around my bicep and squeezing it tight.

outside On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara