chapter 12

I woke up the next morning with a banging headache and a sweaty arm wrapped tightly around my waist. The scent of cigarettes, musky cologne, and alcohol stung my nostrils as I inhaled, stretching my arms above my head. Suddenly, realization of what was going on hit me and I sat up abruptly, slamming my head on the bunk bed that was above me.

"Shit!" I yiped, my hand automatically flying to the top of my head. My headache immediately intensified and I massaged the growing bump slowly, trying to ease the ache. There was rustling of the sheets next to me and I quickly turned my attention to the lanky body. A shirtless Van lied there with the black covers sprawled loosely across his bare stomach, one pale arm shoved under his pillow and the other wrapped tightly around my waist.

I smiled at the sight. His dark hair was hanging in front of his shut eyes and and his mouth was slightly agape, heavy breaths pouring out of it. This was such a lovely way to wake up.

But as I lied there, I couldn't remember anything that had happened last night, and that terrified me.

What if we had slept together?

I really hope we hadn't, what would that mean for us? I wasn't sure. He was a rockstar and I'm just...me. We'd never be able to see each other and it just wouldn't work out.

All of the thoughts had begun to make me anxious and I decided that I needed some space. I slowly lifted his arm from my waist to get out of bed, but to my surprise, he tightened his grip, pulling me towards him. I didn't really know what to do so I just lied my head back down on the pillow and tried to fall back asleep, feeling slightly comforted with the presence of Van. His scent was very calming and I wish I could bottle it up and keep it forever, pulling it out when I needed it most.

After about five minutes of me lying there staring at him, he grunted and shifted around a bit, his eyelids fluttering open slowly. His crystal blue eyes met my dull grey ones and I smiled, blushing at the fact that he had caught me staring at him. He smiled back before his eyes went wide and he shot up, speedily removing his arm from my waist and hitting his head on the upper bunk just as I had earlier.

"Fooking hell!" He screeched, beginning to rub his forehead. I laughed and he turned around, glaring at me.

"I just did the same thing about five minutes ago!" I continued laughing, covering my mouth with my hand. My morning breath was probably out of this world by now.

"Christ, I'm sorry, this isn't what it looks like," Van soon said, referring to our current bed situation, "we didn't sleep together or anything. We just quite literally slept together."

"It's alright, don't be sorry. I figured that we didn't do anything anyways." I laughed, relieved by his statement.

"How come?" He asked, turning his head to the side like a confused puppy. I didn't want to just flat out say "because you'd never like me that way", so I thought of a quick lie that was also a very good point.

"Because we slept in a room with 6 other people." I laughed, opening the little curtain that gave the person in the bunk some privacy from the other 5 occupants and peering out of it. All the other bunks' curtains were open to reveal that they were all empty.

"Oi, very true. Do you remember anything from last night?" He asked, laying back down on his side and propping his head on his hand like a model. His chest hair was on full display and I hate to say it but it was a major turn on.

Keep yourself together, Kate.

"Not really, the last thing I remember was coming to find you outside after the show." I shrugged, and a mix of disappointment and relief crossed his face and I couldn't help but wonder what had happened. I threw back the covers because I was sweating immensely and raised my eyebrows at him as I quickly found out that I was wearing his black, oversized shirt and a pair of his boxers. My heart leapt out of my chest at the sight.