chapter 16

I was woken up to hushed whispers and the heavy scent of disinfectant and baby powder as I rubbed my eyes. The thick blanket that was wrapped around me began to make me feel stuffy and I peeled it off, sitting up in the uncomfortable hospital chair that I had fallen asleep in. Once I finally opened my eyes, I peered around the room, taking in my surroundings as I stretched my neck from side to side. Memories of last night's events came flooding back to my mind and my heart became heavy.

Last night was the night I said goodbye to Van for, probably, forever. The sad part is, we didn't even end it on a good note, with him storming off after I declined the kiss we were about to share.

After crying in my car for a bit like a pathetic loser, I decided to drive to the hospital to visit Jackson, seeing as I had nowhere else to go in this foreign city. By the time I had reached his room it was midnight and he was asleep. He woke up once he heard the soft click of the door when I entered the room, though, but as I began to explain why I was there, he fell back asleep. I, too, fell asleep shortly after that, attempting to get comfortable on the slightly cushioned chair in the corner of the room. Thus, bringing me to the present.

"Oh, I'm sorry, dear, we didn't want to wake you." Said a nurse that hovered over Jackson, checking his vitals, I assumed.

"It's alright." I yawned, walking towards the stark-white bathroom to see what I had to work with for the day and to give them a little privacy as they finished up. There was some mascara smudged underneath my eyelids and my hair was a bit frizzy, but other than that, I didn't look too horrid, which surprised me.

Once I did the rest of my business in the restroom I walked out to reveal that the nurse had left. A tired looking Jackson lay alone on his bed, a sleepy smile hanging from his lips.

"Mornin' Katie, don't remember you getting here last night." He chuckled, coughing a bit. I winced at the sound.

"Yeah, that's a long story." I rubbed my hands over my face, sitting criss-cross on the end of the hospital bed.

"Do you see me? I've got all the time in the world." He smiled, making me feel a bit better inside. That was one of the reasons that I loved Jackson so much, he always made me feel like someone cared about my problems even if they were stupid and petty.

I began to explain to him the events over the last few days. I informed him of the amazing concert the boys put on, and how I woke up in Van's bed the next morning. He wasn't too pleased to hear that. I just rolled my eyes and continued talking, telling him about the day at the aquarium and my attempt to ignore Van throughout the day that evidentially failed. I spoke of our falling out at my car and the little note that he left me, which made me tear up a bit. I quickly blinked the tears away, hoping he didn't notice, but he did anyways.

He enveloped me in the best hug that he could muster in his position, and I chuckled at his effort.

"You're just caught up in a huge mess, aren't you, Katie?" He sighed as I pulled away. I nodded.

"I honestly don't know what to do." I said, running my hands through my hair.

"You should call him, I mean, you have his number now."

"I don't know...I feel like it's too soon."

"Then give it a few days. But don't leave it like this for too long. If you do, then you guys may never talk again." He advised.

"Okay, okay. Fine. Three days. I'll give it three days." I compromised. Jackson grinned.

"I win."

"Yeah, yeah, shut it, you cripple." I laughed, nudging his shoulder. He slapped me on the arm and I slapped him back, which turned into an all-out slapping war, which probably wasn't the best thing to do while he was lying in a hospital bed with several injuries, but yanno.