chapter 5

"-and then we started wrestling on the ground for the xbox controller, and I was like 'You still suck at FIFA, mate!'" Van finished telling me a story about how he and Larry argued over the silly xbox game. Tears pricked my eyes due to laughing too hard as we continued the walk back to the hospital, arm in arm. These boys were absolutely insane.

We rounded the corner, still cracking up, until the dreaded white building quickly came into view. Suddenly, my nervousness began to resurface as I felt my hands begin to quiver. However, I was grateful that Van had managed to take my mind off of everything for awhile.

"Alright, love?" Van looked down at me due to his height. I nodded and we walked up the pathway to the front doors, stepping into the hospital. The heavy smell of disinfectant and baby powder instantly overtook my senses. I felt the bile rise up in the back of my throat, but quickly swallowed it down.

I could do this.

We made our way to the elevator, I pressed the "up" button as I had earlier this morning, except just once this time. We waited patiently for it, while Van stroked my upper arm sympathetically, calming my nerves slightly. My stomach was still churning, though, despite his efforts.

Once to the third floor, we took our time walking to room 16, where my brother was being held. My breathing became rapid as we came to the door, flashbacks from this morning replaying in my head like a broken record. Van squeezed my hand and looked at me, as if asking me if it was okay to open it. I gave him a slight nod and he slowly opened the heavy door. Jackson was still in the same position as before. Maddie had pulled up a chair next to the bed and was sitting there holding his hand. They were talking and laughing about something or other, until they saw me enter the room. They both went silent, their eyes going wide, probably from the sight of Van.

"Hey, Katie." My brother smiled as much as he possibly could with his busted up face.

"How are you?" I managed to ask, fighting back tears. I felt Van squeeze my hand again.

"Well, I've been better." He chuckled, Maddie laughing slightly along with him. I was happy to see that he at least still had his sense of humor in this situation. I let a small smile creep onto my lips.

"Who's your friend?" He smirked. He knew damn well who it was, I was always blabbering on about Van's voice to him and sending him pictures that I found quite attractive. I appreciated the fact that he was being cool about it though and playing along. Although, if he said one wrong thing he was going to get it, no matter how hurt he was.

"This is Van. Van, this is my brother, Jackson."

"Nice to meet you, lid." Van smiled.

"You too, finally." Jackson chuckled, a confused expression crossing Van's face for a millisecond. I shot Jackson a warning glare and he shut right up.

"Nice to see you again, Maddie. I'll have to shoot Bondy a text and tell him you're in town, he'll be ecstatic." Van chuckled, pulling out his phone. Maddie instantly blushed, shooting me another one of her famous "oh my god" looks, causing me to laugh.

"Look, Jackson, I'm sorry for darting out earlier, it's just-" I began, before being interrupted by Van.

"Here, we should give you two some alone time, we'll be right outside." He said, yanking Maddie out of the room. I chuckled slowly and walked closer to Jackson, sitting down in the chair that had been occupied by Maddie. I grabbed his right hand which was freezing cold, several wires and needles poking out of his arm. I winced.