The Setup

Platinum

I heard a car door close outside and I knew it was Scoota. I jumped up and lit candles and threw rose petals down before turning the lights off. I had my silk robe on, a pair of red stilettos, and my hair was curled but somewhat loose.

"Platinum," I heard Scoota call.

"I'm in the living room Scoota," I called back to him.

"Why you got it so dark in here?" He walked into the living room and smiled. "Damn, all this for me?"

"Come here," I said to him.

He walked over and I pushed him down on the couch. I straddled him and began to feel all over his body; not for his pleasure, for our protection.

"I'm not even feeling the couch baby, go to the room," I commanded. He smirked and got up, doing as he was told. Before he even reached the hallway, Alex's backup was all over him.

"What the fuck? You set me up!"

"It's a part of the game, baby. You should've thought about that before you shot me!"

"This ain't over, bitch!"

"You coming Platinum?" Alex asked me.

"No I have to go get Imani from my momma's house," I answered.

"Aight. Lay low, okay?" I nodded.

I went into my room and threw on some sweats before grabbing my phone, keys, and wallet. I set the alarm then got into my car and backed out.

When I got to my mother's house, I walked right in. Drew, Imani, and Momma were sitting in the living room watching a movie. Drew needs to get a nine to five because he's always over here. This is my momma, not his!

"Hey y'all," I said before picking Imani up.

"What's up, have you seen Scoota?" Drew asked. I gave him a sideways look.

"No," I said with an attitude. "I don't communicate with him anymore."

"Y'all hush up and watch the movie," Momma said.

Drew still had his eyes on me, just staring. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention towards the movie. Right when I was about to doze off, my phone started ringing. Thank God it didn't wake Imani. I saw the number and smiled before stepping out of the room.

"Hello?" I answered.

"You have a collect call from Slim. Do you accept the charges?"

"Yes," I said with excitement.

"What's up?" I heard his sexy voice on the other end of the phone.

"I'm over my momma's house. How are you?"

"Tell her I said hey. I'm good, you?"

"I'm good. I got your," I cleared my throat, "letter." I knew he'd know I was talking in code.

"Be patient, ok? Please."

That made me feel bad. A tear slipped from one of my eyes and rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away.

"I will," I answered.

"How's your baby? She look so little on that picture."

"She's great and that's because she was born two weeks earlier than we suspected."

"You have exactly thirty seconds left in this voice call," the machine announced.

"Well I'm gon' let you go. Can you come see me tomorrow?" He asked.