chapter 8

The woods where Jared lives is absolutely stunning. It is so green here and the way the sunlight glistens through the trees makes it look magical. We drive up the long drive which is lines by tall trees andnthe branches meet making a canopy that bathes the drive in shadows. We pull up to the house and it is the most biggest house I have ever seen.

It is an old Victorian style mansion with a verandah that wraps around the lowest floor. To say it is beautiful is an understatement. Vines grow up the sides of the house and it makes it look like it has grown out of the forest.

" Wow how many people live here?" I ask stunned. I can't take my eyes off the place.

" There are 500 members in my pack and 30 pack members live in the pack house along with my inner circle.  We have a floor to ourselves and the rest share the remaining three floors. All up there are five floors, around 15 bedrooms all with their own bathrooms to each floor except ours which has 10 rooms, the basement has recently been transformed into a games room, the kitchen and dining room, main living room and a spacious backyard with a pool." He says like it's nothing. I look at him in awe and my attention goes straight back to the house.

"Where do the rest of the pack stay?" I ask in wonder.

"They each have their own homes spread around the territory but not too far away from here. each home is within a ten mile radius of here. Far enough away for privacy but close enough if there is ever trouble. They all drop around constantly especially the children and teens just to hang out." He says.

"Wow" Is all i can manage to say.We gather our belongings,which isn't much, and head inside. If I thought the outside was beautiful it is nothing compared to inside. The entry is tiled and photo's line the walls.

" They are all the pack members.We take a photo of all our new members and hang them here so everyone feels like they belong. My families photo's are at the top and then it moves down the lines from there." He says looking at each photo. I look around at the photo's lower down the line and see that there are no omegas. They are usually the ones who get put on house cleaning and cooking duty.

"Where are the omega photo's?" I ask quietly. I only want to know where to expect my picture to be. 

"Why do you ask?" he asks while raising an eyebrow at me. I take a deep breath and say,

"So that when you reject me for someone better I know where my picture will be when I clean them." I look at the ground with my eyes filling with tears. He pulls me towards him and lifts my chin with his pointer so that I'm looking him in the eyes.

"Why would you say that. You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen in my life. No one will ever compare to you."He says honestly. My heart flutters at his words and by the grin on his lips, it looks like he can hear it.

" Another thing the only ones who are ranked are us, the betas and the third in command. Everyone else are treated equally. Those who live in this house equally help with daily chores. There are no slaves in this pack. We take care of each other." He says in a stern tone.

"Is that how you keep your pack strong?" I ask.

"Yes it is and I think you should start getting used to saying our pack." He smiles at me as he moves his arm in a gesture to keep moving. I take my shoes off and line them up with the rest as not to dirty the beautiful white carpet.We walk down a few stairs and enter the living room. The walls are painted a creamy colour which allows the light to bounce off the walls to brighten the inside. The carpet is so soft beneath my feet.  There is a spiral staircase that circles the living room.The furniture inside is more modern. There are 2 three seater lounges which are a light tan colour, a huge flat screen TV which is hung on the wall. There are beanbags stacked in the corner. The TV has a full surround sound system which the speakers are set up around the room. We move through an arch opening on the other side and come through to the kitchen. All the appliances are stainless steel, the counter is black marble with specks of glitter in it. The floor is tiled with cream coloured tiles .The doors leading to the back outside area are full glass and and the windows have hinges on them so that the doors fold in to open the full length of the wall. To the right is another arch which leads to the dining room.