1.11 | Five People + If It Looks Like A Brownie

Start from the beginning

I may not have too much experience driving a car... but I did take a course. I hadn't gotten an Australian license given I didn't have a car here and I didn't find it necessary to invest in a car at this moment. So, I suppose it was for the better - not drive illegally.

Then, we ran out of gas halfway.

I blinked away from the flashing light on the dashboard monitor and glared at him, "How do you run out of gas? Did you not check before we left?"

He admitted absent-mindedly, "I was distracted."

Some of the quick temper dissipated at his honest response. I get a feeling he was still worried over that phone call. He had kept checking his phone every few seconds even though there was no obvious beep to signal a new, unread message.

He parked the car to the side of the road. "Stay in the car. The nearest gas station is about five miles out."

I unbuckled, "Oh, no. I refuse to stay here in the middle of nowhere by myself."

"It could start raining anytime again."

"And?"

"I only keep one umbrella in the car, sweet pea."

That name again. Eventually, we came back to it. "Your point?"

He continued to stare at me, waiting for it to click. But... for what to click? All I knew was that I refused to stay in the car and wait for him to return. In the middle of a deserted road was not my idea of comfort or safety.

Eventually he gave in. "Let's go." As we were walking, he asked. "What do you need to buy anyway?"

"Oh, nothing."

The look he gave was beyond hilarious. It was as if someone just told him Santa wasn't real. "What do you mean nothing?!"

"I mean, nothing." I casually said and continued walking.

"Khushi..." came his deadly warning.

I cracked at once and exclaimed, "I was bored!" He returned a look of tell me you are joking and I went on to point out, "Everyone was asleep and you had locked yourself in your room. If I had wanted to spend the weekend by myself, I'd have stayed on campus. And, it's not like I had asked you to come along. If you recall, I did ask for your car keys."

"Look where your boredom got us." He said as if there was a need for that. I glanced up towards the sky when a drop fell on my forehead. A second later, he follows my actions for he felt it too. "Just fucking perfect."

I instructed rolling my eyes, "You've got an umbrella. Make use of it instead of whining like a baby."

He opened it but placed it over my head just as it began pouring. When I glanced at him questioningly, he offered, "Unlike popular belief, I do know how to be a gentleman."

It took only seconds for his shirt to be drenched and for it stick to his skin. I said looking away to stare ahead instead. "I've got a jacket, Arnav. You are wearing a thin shirt. You need it more if you don't want to get sick."

It seems he choose to ignore my words for the umbrella remained over my head. Sighing, I started to shrug off my jacket. Well, it was Armaan's jacket. I'd wear it in the rainy weather more than he did so I had brought it with me here. I doubt he even knew it was missing.

I forwarded it to him, "Here." He questioned through his eyes. "It's Armaan's. Big enough to fit you. So just put it on." I took the umbrella he was holding so he could wear the jacket and zip it up.

Only, the wind didn't want to cooperate. It was impossible to hold the item steady over my head and it ended up drenching my backside the way rain wanted to fall slanted. Why could the wind not pick its course and stick with it?