Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"So what are you up to for the rest of the day?" Dee asks me, smiling softly. I am sitting across from her in the barn office, sipping on a mug of chai tea. After I finished with Star, I put him in his stall and went to visit Dee in her office. We have to discuss the plans for Rolex. 

"Not much. I am going to bring Beau and Faith in and groom them." I take a sip of the warm, spicy aromatic chai tea. 

"That will be fun. I am sure you miss riding them. Now Ali, tell me about everyone who is going to see you at Rolex." She gives me a warm smile.

"Well the people going to the Kentucky Horse Park with me are Mark and Matt. Matt will be grooming for me and Mark will be training me, of course. My mom, GiGi, April, and Drew will be coming the 25th for dressage and will stay until the 27th for show jumping." I say, reciting the same words that I have repeated for dozens of curious people. 

"I think you are missing someone." Dee says, eyes narrowing, obviously trying to hide a smile.

"No, I don't think so." I retort back. Trust me, I have memorized anything and everything I need to know about Rolex coming up.

"I have been talking to Mark," Dee starts. "I will be driving up the the horse park with you, Matt, and Mark. I will be there to help you guys." 

A huge smile spreads across my face. I jump up, burying myself in a hug with Dee. I cannot believe she will be coming. Dee is like my second mom. I am very close to her and am excited that she will be coming. 

I let go of my hug with her and settle back into the office chair, smile hanging onto my lips. "Dee this means so much to me that you will be coming! Thank you so much!"

Dee laughs, sitting back down into her chair. "Of course. I am here to support you one hundred percent of the way. Besides, I want to be know as the original trainer of such a world renown rider. Now, whats the schedule?"

I laugh, "We will be heading up to the Kentucky Horse Park where Rolex is located early on the morning of the 22nd. I will hack Rebound around the Park to get familiar with the show grounds. He has been there countless of times before but this time it is different. We were originally going to head up the 21st but the horse park doesn't open its stabling until 8 AM on the 22nd. The first jog is on the 23rd. Following that is my dressage day on Friday the 25th. Thursday the 24th is an off day for Rebound, I will be walking my cross country course that day and watching some other dressage rides. Cross country is on Saturday the 26th. The second jog is the morning of Sunday the 27th. Following the second jog on the same day is stadium. And finally, the awards at the end of the day."

"What are your goals as a competitor for Rolex?" Dee asks me, locking eye contact.

"Well I want to make it through the competition!" I let out a quick laugh, "Competition will be stiff with about 50 top level riders competing. And not to mention the difficult dressage test, incredibly demanding cross country course, and intense show jumping. I am least worried about show jumping. Rebound loves it. He practically eats stadium jumps for breakfast! I feel like we could get through show jumping double clear. And I feel like we are pretty solid in dressage. I am hoping for a dressage score in the 40s or 50s. Or at least a test that I am proud of. Rebound loves cross country, but it will definitely be difficult. I want to get through the course clear. I don't care about time penalties as long as we are safe."

"Those are great goals, Al. I am happy that you aren't thinking about the prizes or ribbons as one of your goals. I have had plenty of riders that have horse show goals of 'placing in the top 10' or 'winning the blue'. Not that you cannot accomplish those goals, you are certainly capable of it. But your goals are realistic." Dee smiles at me.

I nod. "Thanks Dee. Well I better get going. I still have to take care of my two other babies today."

"Certainly. What about Rebound?"

"I had the chiropractor out for him today and he got a massage." I add, "Matt was at the barn when the chiro was treating him."

Dee gives me a hug. "It was great seeing you again, Al. The next time I see you will probably be when we are packing the truck for Rolex on the 21st!"

I smile. "I will see you on the 21st then, Dee. Thanks."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So this chapter was filled with upcoming information on Rolex. Most of the information should be accurate. I made sure to do a fair share of research! Thanks for reading! (: