Chapter Twenty Eight

We fly through the first couple of fences with no problems. Rebound is jumping everything so confidently, even in places where I bobbled. The crowds of people around the fenced in course is crazy. The cheers from the spectators is nothing like I have ever heard before. I really like this course so far, the jumps are all gallop fences. Inviting and not too technical, it is a great first half of the course.

Rebound and I approach the first real question on course. It is an AB brush combination. If he doesn't jump well into the first one, I will take the longer option, even though Mark wanted me to do the harder option. It will chew up precious time, but I want to make it around clear at my first 4 star, not worrying about time. Rebound is standoffish as we approach the difficult combination. The huge crowd sets him off. I bridge my reins and take them on one hand, giving him a smack on the rump with my bat. He gets an awkward distance and launches himself over the brush. Quickly, I decide to take the option. I set him up to the fence and he flys over it. Collecting my reins, I give him a kick forward and we are flying in a hand gallop, trying to make up for the time we lost.

After jumping large hanging logs, we approach the first water, an ABC combination. I sit deep in the tack and drive him forward with strong legs. Rebound leaps over a tripe bar type fence, then one stride into the small water complex. Approaching the fish jump two strides in, I loosen my reins, allowing Rebound to really use his neck. Keeping my eyes on the skinny brush going out of the water, he fearlessly jumps over the fish and over the brush. People cheer, and Rebound gets a well deserved pat on the shoulder.

Rebound takes the next couple of fences in stride, and only needs a little encouragement over the next few combinations. God, this horse is such a tank.

"Woah, woah." I give a heavy half halt on the reins as we approach the massive hammock. Rebound is leaning on the reins, completely ignoring me. He is too focused on the jump. I give one more tug on the reins before his attention is back on me. "Good boy!" I tell him as he leaps over the jump. Who said you need wings to fly? Rebound then takes the massive, nearly 10 foot wide ditch and wall as if it was a beginner novice fence.

Next is one of the most difficult combinations on course, an ABCD sunken road. I give Rebound a pony club kick as he jumps over a hanging rail bounce to a downhill bank. Then he takes two huge strides to the massive uphill bank to a curving brush. Rebound is unfazed, ears perked forward, ready to take on the world.

We jump a few jumps before approaching the head of the lake. This is where most of the spectators crowd to watch. The crowd is silent, the only sound is the wind in my ears and Rebound's heavy breath. I remember Mark telling me I needed a bold ride into the water. In the approach, I loosen the reins out to the buckle and give him another smack on the rump. I leap into the water one handed, quickly gathering the reins on the landing side. We tactfully maneuver the water complex. I know we went through a little slow, but he jumped carefully.

"Come on, boy, we are nearly there." Approaching the normandy bank, I sit in the tack. Rebound leaps over the huge bank bounce the the rail. On the landing side I loose my stirrups and get bounced out of the tack a little. I hear the crowd gasp. I manage to get back in the saddle approaching the skinny table, but I still don't have stirrups. With a lot of clucking and praying, we manage to get over the jump. I take a few seconds to take my stirrups back before galloping on.

The last combination on course quickly approaches, an angled brush line. I keep my eyes on the line I want to ride. He adds a half stride in front of the second brush, but I expected that. Even though it wasn't the prettiest, we manage to crawl over the brush. After one more galloping fence, the final signature Rolex jump is approaching. We get the perfect distance to it, galloping through the finish flags. Tears stream down my face and people cheer. This is probably one of the happiest moments of my life. As we gradually slow down to a trot, I can't stop patting Rebound. God, he is such a fantastic horse I can't help myself.

"YOU ARE AMAZING!" GiGi shouts. My whole fan club is cheering at the ten minute box. The ten minute box is at the end of every upper level cross country course. Since such a long course is strenuous on a horse and possibly deadly if not treated properly, vets make sure the horses are cooled down and breathing normally before they are allowed back at the barn. Matt, April, and GiGi are running next to me and Rebound. He is breathing heavily and dripping with sweat. I jump out of the tack while he is still trotting.

"We need to keep him moving." I tell them, trying to catch my breath.

"Big shot, your mom has a bottle of water for you. Go take your helmet off and cool down. We can take care of Rebound for you." Drew tells me.

"Thanks guys." I tell them, while they quickly rip off the saddle and exchange the bridle with a halter. I walk over to mom, Dee, and Mark. They all give me big hugs. I take a sip of water and take my vest and sweaty helmet off. I am already feeling better. The vet checks Rebound's initial vitals before allowing us to cool him down. Matt fills up buckets full of water while April takes out his studs. GiGi and I use sponges to help cool down Rebound. Immediately after the water gets hot on his skin, we sweat scrape it off so he doesn't over heat. Dee offers him a bucket of water and he slurps it down. "Good boy." I whisper to him. It is a good sign that he is drinking after cross country.

~

After a couple minutes of cooling Rebound down and hand walking, the vet checks his vitals again. "He is good to go back to the barn." She says, marking something down on her sheet.

"Thank you." I tell her, taking Rebound's lead rope from her.

"You sure you don't want me to lead him back?" Matt asks me.

"No. I'm good. Thanks!" I pat Rebound on the shoulder and start the trek back to the barn. I won't know how many time penalties got added to my score or what place I am until I am back at the barn, but I don't care. We successfully completed our first 4 start cross country.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hey guys! Sorry it has been a long time since my last update. I have actually been working on another novel that will be published after I complete this one. Well I am writing again and I want to finish this book ASAP. Hope you enjoyed reading!