Chapter Twenty Seven

Yes, I am guilty for delaying a new chapter for over 4 months. Time has just gotten away from me and I am still recovering from a traumatic brain injury from a fall a couple months ago. I am doing better and have the clearance the ride again :) If you need a reminder about where we are this chapter, the main character, Ali, just started her Rolex cross country course with her horse, Rebound.

This is a super quick update, but I feel like you guys deserve to get something out there. Slowly, I am getting back into the swing of things. The next update will be longer and definitely sooner!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I raise into two point and soften the reins, giving Rebound a small squeeze forward. Ears perked, he tears up the track with excitement.

"We got this, Reebs." I whisper to Rebound, taking a deep breath in. I mostly say this to comfort myself. Normally, I don't get nervous at shows. I don't worry about the ribbons or the scores or the placings. Every test, every course, every show I focus only on self improvement. But this was different. This was my 4* debut, a dream of mine since I was a little kid. Now it was time to kick some ass.

We quickly approach the first fence on course, a massive flower box. It was a very inviting fence and the key to getting a good distance to it was keeping a punchy gallop right up to the base. Dozens of spectators surround the jump on both sides of the track tape, all of them with their cameras ready to take pictures. Slowly, I count down the strides in my head. I stay up in a low two point right up to the base. There is no reason to have a defensive ride to this fence. Rebound takes off at the perfect distance. He snaps his knees up, sailing over the six foot spread with inches to spare.

Landing off the other side, I quickly recollect my reins and raise back up into galloping position. "Good boy!" I say to Rebound, giving him a quick pat on the shoulder before my attention goes right back to the course. I barely hear the people whistling and clapping behind me, and Rebound doesn't even acknowledge them. His focus is one hundred percent on the task at hand. He is in it to win it, my horse. And so am I.