Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

"We got this." I whisper under my breath as I trot Rebound around the outside of the ring. I sit deep in the saddle practice my deep breathing exercises. The crowds on the bleachers where massive. I half turn Rebound so he is tracking to the right and continue trotting the other direction. As judges ring the bell for me to enter the arena I take a deep breath. I trot around the outside of the arena and slow Rebound down to a walk before asking for a brisk transition into the collected canter. At A we enter the arena at a collected canter.

"Number 16, Back In Action, entering the ring now. He is a 10 year old Belgian Warmblood gelding owned and ridden by Allison Michels." The announcer says over the loud speaker. I take yet another deep breath, trying the calm the nerves bubbling inside of me. But as Rebound makes a perfect and immobile halt transition at I, the nerves settle. I smile, saluting to the judge at C. The thousands of eyes watching me blur away as I become one with my horse. We are alone in the arena, working as one. Preforming an intricate dance with a creature that has a mind of its own. What ever happens today and the rest of the week happens. I am proud of both Rebound and I making it to where we are today.

~

If it was possible to have a better halt at the end of the test that the one I had at the beginning, I nailed it. The test went perfect. It was clean, crisp, and I did not play it safe. I pushed Rebound and myself to do our best and it certainly paid off. I drop my right hand to my side and salute the judge at C, and give a slight nod to the judges as E and M. Once I do so and the test is officially finished, I drop the reins right in the middle of the arena and give Rebound a big hug. I kiss him on the crest of his neck, whispering, "I love you." The crowd goes crazy, cheering and applauding. Rebound seems to like the attention and walking proudly out of the arena. I let him out on loose rein and guide Rebound out of the ring briskly. I could have not asked for a better test.

"Beautiful ride for number 16. Up next in the ring is number number 19, Pawlow, owned by Jennifer Mosing and ridden by Will Faudree." The loud speacker screeches off, but I hardly notice. I am floating on cloud nine right now. I give Rebound another big pat as we exit the arena.

"Beautiful test!" Will Faudree says to me, walking the beautiful bay into the large Rolex arena.

"Thank you so much! Good luck on your test!" I say to him proudly. I know that I had a good test, a great one actually. Everyone knows that.

As I leave the Rolex arena I kick my feet out of the stirrups.

"Beautiful." Mom walks up to me, wiping tears out of the corner of her eyes. I reach down to her from the saddle and hug her. I do the same for Dee. And Mark. And April. And GiGi. And Drew. And finally Matt. I pop out of the saddle. I am barely aware of what is going on around me. Matt and April both remove Rebound's saddle and place it on the golf cart.. Froath and sweat coat his body and he is in need of a bath. People I don't recognize and other famous riders congradulate me from every direction.

"Ali why don't you ride with me back to the barn and Matt can walk Rebound back and give him a bath. Your mom and Dee are going to buy something for you to drink and eat. April, GiGi, and Drew are going to stay and watch some more test." Mark says to me, climbing into the trailer.

I nod to him, still in a dazed state. I climb into the passenger seat of the golf cart. Unbuckling my helmet as we drive away, the cool breeze feels nice against my sweaty body.

"Allison that was certainly the best test you have ever put out." Mark says as he turns the golf cart in the direction of the stabling.

"Thank you so much. He certainly put in his A game."

"He definitely did. What do you feel was your best part of the test?"

I think for a second. "The half pass was certainly better than it was in the warmup. But I think our halts were very nice and I thought we did good on the 5 loop serpentines with the flying changes. Rebound felt really uphill and engaged in the hindquarters."

Mark nods. "I agree. Everything was pretty much spot on. I couldn't have expected a better test from you. I am so proud." Mark pats me on the shoulder.

I smile to myself. "I am too."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Guyss it has been forever since an update. I was going to go into detail about every movement in the test but I honestly didn't feel like it and I just wanted to upload.

Question:

How else is going to Rolex to watch this year?