Chapter One: Monsters in New York City

Start from the beginning

Before Caroline or Madeline could answer, loud voices coming from inside the school building caught our attention. We, along with everyone else in the quad, hurried inside to figure out who was causing an uproar this early in the day. Thankfully it was easy enough to find, we simply had to follow the mass of other curious students. 

There was a huge, forming crowd swarming around the action at the end of a hallway. With fear in their eyes, curious students and teachers stepped aside to let us through. They knew better than to mess with me. As soon as we reached the center of the crowd, we encountered the people causing the pandemonium.  

Both boys were tall, muscular, and possessed looks that belonged only to models or Greek Gods. Anticipating a fight, people began to shout words of encouragement: Kick his ass! FIGHT! Punch Miller in the face! 

However, with the way Logan Wilson and Noah Miller were glaring at each other, it was doubtful that they even noticed their audience.

“I thought we were friends!” Logan shouted at Noah.

Logan can be so naïve sometimes. He knows no one around here has real friends. It would be irresponsible of us to have friends. They only cause us to lose our guard, and we can’t risk that. 

Watching Logan and Noah argue, I thought back to the time when Logan and I used to talk. I was seven when I met him. He had just moved here from London, and our fathers were old friends; since they had gone to Yale together. While our fathers would talk business, Logan and I used to play prince and princess. 

We were inseparable, but once high school came around we both went our separate ways.

I became something of a socialite and fought my way towards the top. Logan became a womanizer, partied and never stuck to one girlfriend. Of course, girls didn‘t mind. It was inevitable considering his good looks and charm. Through the years, we both ruled our school, but stayed out of each others’ way. One thing was for sure, I would never mess with Logan. No one did. 

“You couldn’t meet her needs like I could,” Noah replied. Ouch. Logan was going to kill him for insulting his manhood. 

Full of hate, Logan's eyes searched the crowd, and landed on a tall, blonde with slightly botoxed lips. The hallway was silent as Logan looked from Noah to Courtney. After some time, small smile appeared on his face, before he shrugged and announced his decision. 

 “Go ahead. Have the slut."

Watching as Noah walk over to Courtney and kissed her, I and everyone else in the room, knew it wasn't over. Subsequently, we watched as Logan’s fists and Noah's face collided multiple times, before someone thought about stopping it. 

As Mr. Johnson and Smith struggled to pull them apart, Logan spit into Noah’s bloody face and said: "Don't say I can't keep a woman happy." 

 With that, he let Mr. Johnson pull him off Noah and escort him to the principal’s office. Of course, Logan wouldn’t get suspended. Our parents had control over the teachers, including the principal. 

“Well, that was something,” Lauren muttered to me. 

“Sure was,” I agreed.  

                                                                    --------------------------- 

After school, Tiffany Williams and I, hung out in the library to discuss our English project, or at least we did before her boyfriend came. Knowing the disruption wasn‘t temporary, I decided to call it a day and head home. 

As soon as I stepped outside, I spotted the familiar chauffeur wave from across the street. Walking to school this morning had been Lauren’s idea, not mine. I wasn’t exactly eco-friendly.