Chapter 2

Whitney's drunk and weary eyes turned focus onto her lovers' and the two shared a warm kiss that made everyone in the restaurant aw with pleasure.

Marcus cupped the cheek of his long time girlfriend and smiled.

"Marcus, man you did great on last month's game I didn't think you could do it!" A fan screamed out.

"8-0 undefeated still! Man, you the fuckin' truth!" Another yelled out.

"Marcus! Marcus! Can you tell us your plans for the week? How are you gonna lead the team through the season?!" A reporter asked.

"Marcus why are you here in Atlanta?! The NFL program listing says your next game is in Chicago!" Another one asked.

"Thank you everyone. I want to thank all my friends and family for being here to support my girlfriend and I. I'm looking forward to a great season with my teammates and I hope I make my city proud in my performance for the next game." Marcus shouted out, getting a warm, round of applause from everyone. The questions continued, followed by flickers of camera lights and the waving of microphones.

Anyone with a pair of eyes could see how well liked Marcus was. A young, sexy, and talented football player wasn't too hard to come by these days, but he brought a cutting edge personality to the NFL and to his fans.

Marcus turned his focus back to his woman, who was so already looking to pour up another glass of Chardonnay.

Her eyes were so glossy, her palms sweaty, but Marcus ignored it all and smiled at her. He grabbed her small hands and held them to his face.

"Do you know just how beautiful you are?" He began, running his thumb across Whitney's soft, milky skin.

Whitney hung her head down, cracking a humble smile before she looked back up and nodded slowly.

"And do you know how much I'm in love with you?" He continued.

"Yes" she replied softly. Whitney's eyes glittered and batted for the camera.

"From the moment I met you, you've been all I've ever asked for in a lady. You're beautiful, strong and successful. You bring sunshine to my rain and deal with my antics even when the league doesn't want to." Marcus and the press laughed kindly at the shared memories.

Whitney began to feel herself cry, her fingers began to wiggle around in the palms of Marcus' hands. She looked away and caught the lights from the flashing cameras once more.
Marcus gently grabbed her chin and turned her face back to his. He locked her eyes in, smiling.

"You're my motivation, my inspiration, my backbone and my everything. I thank god everyday that he blessed me with a beautiful woman like you."

"OOOO YOU GO BOY!" A fan yelled out, catching the attention of some.

"I know bab-" Whitney closed her eyes and stopped for a little to catch her nauseous self, finishing off her sentence. "I know baby, but why are all these people here? Why are we here?" She felt her self quietly whisper to Marcus, even though everyone in the restaurant could hear the words that came out of her mouth.

"Shh. Don't mind them baby. Right now is about me and you. I really love you Whitney. You make me so happy." Marcus looked down at his girl friend's hands.

Way in the back of the room, Mia sat and observed the event. Although she was very happy for her longtime close friend, Mia had a strange way of showing it. She now sipped on a glass of dirty martini slowly, letting the taste of the liquor drench her tongue.

Here it was, once again: Whitney enjoyed another wonderful part in her life. She had the finest man in the city eating out of the palms of her hand. Here it was, he flew way the hell down from Chicago before a big game to have dinner with her family and she was repays the favor with intoxication. Mia thought to herself and couldn't help but shake her head in laughter.

Mia loved Whitney a lot, but she had to admit to herself that her best friend did some crazy shit for love for real.

Mia turned her attention back to her friend.

"I guess what I'm trying to say is that-" Marcus pulled a small black box from his coat pocket.

He got on his left knee, never breaking eye contact with his soulmate, and opened it.

Inside the box something shined bright, glistening even so far away from Mia, she was blinded by it's size.

"Will you marry me?" He asked, receiving a loud response from everyone in the room. The rumbling of hands against the table urging Whitney to say "yes" and to just kiss this fine ass man who everyone wanted.

"Girl you better say yes to that man!"

"Shit, I would!"

Whitney didn't hesitate for an answer.

"YES! YES! YES!" She jumped out of her chair, bursting into tears. Her makeup was smeared, her eyeliner smudged, and her hair had looked like it fought a blow dryer.

She stumbled, struggling to stand on her 7 inch heels and landed on the floor right next to her now finance.

Marcus and others laughed at Whitney's drunken mind, and he joined her on the floor.

Cameras flashed uncontrollably, and questions of the now engagement of Atlanta's favorite football player sent phone alerts going off in the restaurant.

The two shared a kiss and just like that, Whitney gave something else for the media to write about.

As she tried to stand on her own, a little too quickly, Whitney bent over and threw up all over the floor, before collapsing into Marcus' arms.

Sighs and gasps erupted, a everyone rushed for Whitney and Marcus, but they were backed up by security.

Far in the back, watching it all, Mia smirked as she finished her last martini for the night. She grabbed her bag, congratulating her friend and her family, before leaving out the restaurant and driving off into the darkness.