Chapter 9

"Hey." He said, pulling her in for a 'friendly' hug.
Mia raised her eyebrows.
"Hey." She said in confusion.

"What's up?"

"I've been calling you all day. You haven't been picking up at all. That's what's up!" Mia tried to keep her voice down so that the other players wouldn't hear her, but her feelings of built-up anger were starting to overwhelm her.

Marcus looked over at the other players, who tried to act as if they couldn't hear anything.

He grabbed Mia by her shoulder and nudged her further away so that their conversation was more private. "Don't touch me!" Mia violently pulled away from his grip. She stared into his eyes, trying to find hate deep within her heart for him, but knew it was simply impossible.

Marcus, trying to keep his cool, smiled.

"You can't come here with that bull shit, M. If I wanted to talk to you, I would have called you. But coming up here to practice is not going to get me to think otherwise." He bluntly said, ignoring her eyes that were beginning to flood with tears.

"So you don't want to talk to me? That's what I'm hearing. You don't ignore me Marcus. Who the fuck do you think you are? I'm not one of your fans, I'm not the press, I-"

"What do you want from me?!" Marcus tried not to yell, but it was beginning to be hard for him and her both now.

"You! I want you to talk to me! I want you to tell me you don't want to be with me! Don't ignore me!"

Marcus flashed Mia a look of confusion. "We aren't together. You know that. You just said that to me the other night, remember?" Marcus snarled.

"I know what I said. I didn't mean it. If I did, ignoring me like this isn't going to make what's left of this thing we have going on any healthier." Mia snarled back.

"You broke things off with me. Are you crazy?" Marcus replied.

"Maybe I am, Marcus. And if I am, then its because you made me this way!"

"I ain't have shit to do with making you any type of way. Don't pin anything on me."

"So making me feel like I'm crazy is a better choice for you?" Mia said.

Marcus stared back at her for what felt like eternity, not saying anything. He didn't know what to say. After he left the other night, he had promised to himself that he wouldn't ever feel that low in front of Mia. He was a popular NFL star. He didn't have time to be someone's doormat. No matter how many times he shrugged the feeling of Mia off of him since the argument, the hold she had on him was tightening. Of course, he wouldn't hurt his ego by telling her this, so instead being an asshole seemed like a better fit.

It hurt him to see Mia hurting, but his pride didn't care.

He wanted to jump out and kiss her soft lips 100 times. He wanted to get a soft hold of her hair between his fingertips. He wanted to hold her tightly, feeling her hips against his chest.

But cameras were everywhere, the other football players were near, and this was his fiancé's best friend.

His lips stuck to themselves, and even though he wanted to say more than what he was saying, he didn't.

"Yea. I guess so." Marcus looked down at his helmet that was in his hands.

Mia cursed. "So, that's it huh?" She sniffled, "I should have known all that shit you said to me was bullshit. You don't care about me. You only care about your self." Mia shook her head, holding her tears back now. She continued, " Don't worry about me coming to the wedding." She began to walk away, but stopped in her tracks, and grabbed at her neck. She pulled at the necklace roped around her throat, and threw it on the floor.

"I almost forgot." She said, before putting back on her Gucci shades and trailing off towards the exit.

Marcus watched her leave, feeling his stomach turn at her figure sway back and forth in her black dress.

Marcus glanced back over at the other players, who were too busy clowning with themselves too notice the drama. He dropped his helmet next to the necklace, and quickly picked them both up before someone noticed. Marcus clenched the necklace in his hand.

"Yo! Marcus! Bring yo ass back to the showers before you get locked out again nigga!"

"Come on, man!"

Marcus quickly snapped out of his day dreaming.

"Fuck yall." He cracked a fake smile before running after the other players.

(Whitney)

"Hey, Mia! Girl where the hell have you been? I was wondering if you wanted to come help me clean up this damn house later on." Whitney laughed into the phone, while she cracked an egg into a bowl.

Mia, who had just left the Atlanta Bear's football stadium heartbroken last week, was laying in bed, eating mountains of chips and cookies. She looked terrible. Her eyes had bags nesting underneath them, while dark circles were starting to form. Her hair was messy, and she wore a big, gray tank top that even a blind man could see belonged to Marcus White. She looked like she had been crying every day and all day long.

Mia rolled her eyes, stuffing more chips into her mouth. "I don't think so Whitney, I'm just not in the mood."

Whitney laughed, "What the hell do you mean? Girl, I'll get you into the mood! I have oreos here."

Oreos were Mia's favorite cookies since they were kids. Everytime Mia would cry or she was sad, Whitney would stuff one into her mouth.

Mia's eyes fluttered, and she smiled. She knew Whitney was trying to make her feel better. Whitney had always been such a good friend to her over the past 10 years.

"Girl, I don't know." Mia shook her head to herself.

"I am not taking 'no' for an answer." Whitney said back into the phone.
It was 11 in the morning, and Mia's bed room looked as if it hadn't seen a ray of sunshine. It was dark, and quiet. The curtains had been shut, and the Tv had been turned off. The only noise was coming from the birds outside churping, and the sound that the lawnmower made while her grass was being cut.
The last thing she wanted to be doing was cleaning up the house that belonged to her friend's man.
"What do you need me to do?" Mia sucked her teeth, groaning while she tossed and turned in the bed.
"The dishes haven't been washed in two days since Marcus over flowed the dish washer and broke it. He's so damn slow sometimes girl-"

"Ok. What else? You just need an extra hand with that?" Mia cut her off, feeling the sharp pain in her chest from hearing his name.
She really didn't want to spend time talking on the phone with Whitney about the same man who was between her legs just weeks ago.
Whitney paused, ignoring her friend interrupt her, and instead smiled.
"You must really be hurtin' huh? Who was it?" Whitney smirked, cooking the eggs against the stove.
Whitney knew something had happened to make Mia so bitter, but she was her friend. Whatever it was, she would help her get over it, as she had so many times before.
"It was nobody. I'm just not feeling up to anything right now." Mia said, covering her face with her hands, feeling guilty of her affair.

"Well I don't want to hear that bull shit because I know damn well whoever he is, I'm sure he'll be back. You have special powers on men." Whitney giggled to lighten up the mood.
Mia couldn't help but crack a smile.
Whitney was trying, and Mia acknowledged this.

"Now you know I don't use my special powers on everyone." Mia chuckled. It made Whitney happy to know that her friend was slowly, but surely, feeling better.

"Alright, I'm on my way I guess girl. See you soon." Mia laughed lightly.
Mia groaned, and rolled over. She took a shower and got ready to head out to her friend's home.

When she got to Whitney's home, a cold sensation crawled over her neck, as she realized that Marcus could be home too. This would be the first time in days she would see him.
"Hey! I'm here." Mia announced herself, as she used the key that her friend gave her to get inside.
A scream trailed off from upstairs into the master bedroom. It shook the entire house.

"Who's fucking panties are these Marcus?!" Mia heard Whitney yell from upstairs.

Mia stopped in her tracks.