chapter 10

Harry smiled as Zayn pulled back from the kiss, smiling himself. He leaned forward and kissed Harry some more, pushing him back against the brick wall only slightly harder. Harry’s hands hung loosely around Zayn’s neck; Zayn’s on Harry’s hips.

"Liam!" They heard Louis say loudly, drawing them from their kiss. Zayn turned around and across the courtyard they saw Liam struggling to escape Louis’ grasp.

Zayn sighed, grabbing Harry’s hand, the two of them hurrying over to them. “What’s going on?” Zayn asked Jade as they approached the three of them.

Jade didn’t have to talk to answer, but instead pointed towards the gates where they saw Niall and Perrie connected at the lips. Harry sighed, the two of them rounding so they could speak with Liam.

"Liam, calm down." Harry tried, softly.

"Don’t tell me to fucking calm down." Liam pulled out of Louis’ grip, standing in the center of all of them. "He doesn’t even treat her right. She deserves so much better." Liam huffed, upset.

"But going and beating him up doesn’t make you any better than him."

"Who says I’m gunna throw the first punch?" Liam pushed past them, heading towards the two kissing. 

"Liam." Zayn called after him, everyone following close behind him.

”What are you doing?” Liam said angrily as he approached Niall and Perrie. 

Niall pulled back from Perrie, seeing Liam angry he stepped in front of her, “Liam.”

"Stay the fuck away from her." Liam huffed angrily, nearly towering over Niall.

Niall felt himself shaking. He grabbed onto Liam’s shirt, his knuckles tightening around the fabric. Then he let go, exhaling heavily. 

Liam swung his fist, hitting Niall in the side of the temple. Zayn and Louis grabbed ahold of Liam as he tried hitting Niall again, “Let go of me!” He shouted.

"Just go away." Niall breathed out, stepping back and pulling Perrie away with him.

********

Harry groaned, rolling over in bed stretching. Slowly, he opened his eyes.

"Harry? You awake?" Zayn grumbled from across the room.

"Yeah." Harry sent back. "Wait, Zayn?"

"Hmm?"

"Why are we waking up on our own?" They both sat up and starred at each other confused before standing up and heading out the door. It seemed that everyone else had the same idea, because the rest of the ring was out of their rooms as well.

"What’s going on?" Louis asked, the three of them now walking together.

"I don’t know, where’s G?" Zayn said before they reached everyone else in the group.

"Asked the guards," Perrie started, "Only thing they’d tell me; G and Niall left early this morning. Said they’d be back soon. That’s it."

"Where’d’ya think they went?" Zayn crossed his arms, thinking. 

"Dunno. Why would G only take Niall?"

They all sat pondering for awhile, slowly turning into conversation before they heard the big doors open up. From the table they were all sitting at, they turned around. G and Niall walked in, Niall’s head hung. G walked Niall to his room, minutes later she reappeared by herself.

She headed towards the table, sitting down at the empty spot. They all starred, waiting for her explanation. Finally she sighed.

"I took Niall out today. Took him to see his brother since he’s been doing a lot better here." She exhaled, looking up at the many eyes starring at her. "When we got to the hospital I asked the lady at the front desk where he was. She said he passed away over a year ago." 

"Shit, Niall killed him…" Liam barely breathed out, not meaning for anyone to actually hear, but it was too silent for anyone not to.

"She said he had a severe allergic reaction to the medication he had been given once he had arrived at the hospital from Niall’s attack. His body went into shock and stopped functioning. It was a matter of hours before he was gone."

"So it wasn’t Niall?" Perrie asked for clarification. G nodded.

"But Niall still sees it as his fault." Harry sighed.

"Exactly." G sighed, then added, "Just let him lay low for a bit, until he’s ready to talk and all."

********

Zayn and Harry were walking to breakfast hand in hand when they saw Niall emerge from his room.

"Holy shit, Niall’s-" Zayn started, but stopped when he noticed Niall headed their way. Harry let go of Zayn, Niall walking straight up to him and hugging him close.

"Shh," Harry tried to sooth as Niall sobbed into his shoulder. He gave Zayn a pleading look before pulling Niall off to side. They sat down and Niall continued crying until he had no more tears.

"I killed him." Niall finally said quietly. 

"Niall you did not kill him."

"If I would not have laid a hand on him he would be alive."

"He did not die because of you, you did not know." 

Niall looked up at him, “But it’s my fault.”

"You know when Mia killed yourself I thought it was my fault. I always thought I was the reason she did it, maybe I could have done something or could have stopped her. But now I know it wasn’t. I guess what I’m trying to say is everything happens for a reason."

"Are you trying to tell me I was supposed to kill him?"

"What I’m trying to say is, maybe no matter what you did, he was still meant to die. Maybe in the long run it didn’t matter if you hurt him or not, he was still going to go. Maybe it was destiny."

"That doesn’t make sense."

"It’s not supposed to make sense."

"I know you’re just trying to make me feel better, Harry, and no offense but it’s not really working. I appreciate it though, that’s why I came to you, because I trust you the most. You know what it’s like to loose the only person left in your life that matters. So I just want to say I’m sorry you’ve had to go through so much shit on your own. You’re the strongest person I’ve ever met."

Harry smiled, hugging Niall, “I want you to be strong too, Niall.”