Visitor

Don't mind me. Just dropping an update real quick...

***********************************

"Make a fist."

Cade paused in his reading and glanced up with an arched brow. "What?"

Halia made a show of slowly clenching her hand into a tight ball and Cade chuffed. "I know what a fist is, love."

She slid from her place on the bed and Onna made a noise of protest as she was dislodged from her nest in Halia's lap. The cat had come around, surprising as that was. Halia rubbed the space above her nose and cooed, placating, before slinking over to her mate's side. Cade kept his finger placed between the pages of his book and followed the prowling steps with admiration. She was a wolf through-and-through but had the delicate grace of a cat. He kept that thought to himself.

Halia perched herself on the edge of his desk and tapped a finger to the crease between his brows. "Don't question me," she laughed softly. "Just do it."

Eyes narrowed, he playfully growled. "You're such a bully." His hand curled into a fist and he presented it to her. "Does this please the mistress?"

It was her turn to growl. "Very much... Such a good boy," she added with an afterthought, ducking close to purr directly in his ear.

Cade flinched away from the warm wash of air and clapped a hand over his ear, blushing red. "You're a menace, you know that?"

She laughed outright then and wrapped an arm around his shoulders to hug him close. "I love you, you know that?"

The vampire groaned in defeat and hugged her back, hiding his blush in her neck. He wasn't surprised by her declarations of love anymore since she took every opportunity to remind him of the fact. When they woke in the morning she would run her fingers along his jaw and murmur husky promises of forever and always. When they walked the halls hand in hand and passed other members of the coven, she would press herself close to his side and stare at the vampires in open challenge. When she gifted him with her blood, she would cradle his face to her throat and hold him tenderly, as if the slightest pressure might send him fleeing. She would remind him, This is natural. I want you to have it. Take it from me, Cade, it's yours. Always.

"I love you too," He mumbled into her skin and pressed a chaste kiss to the underside of her jaw as he pulled back. "Was there a point to this, though?" Gesturing with his still-closed fist, he watched in amusement as her eyes skipped to his hand.

"So you've heard of the handshake right?" Halia mused aloud and made her hand into a fist.

"Uh huh..."

She brought her clenched hand to bump against his own and then pulled away abruptly, fingers wiggling as her fist opened. "Have you heard of this?"

Cade frowned in confusion and stared at his fist, then her still wriggling fingers. "What?"

Halia demonstrated again and encouraged him to follow the same motions she made. "Um, okay," He stated slowly but obeyed nonetheless. He didn't quite get it but wasn't about to tell her 'no'. Their fists bumped together and fingers wiggled when they moved apart. Halia had a silly grin on her face, entirely pleased.

"It's like a secret handshake!"

Cade smiled indulgently and curled an arm around her hip to gather her into his waiting lap. "Sure is." He nuzzled into her cheek and gave her chin a small nip as he flipped his book back open. He'd gone through nearly his entire collection of medical reviews, spells, and potions. He didn't know if he could fix this, not anymore. When the sickness first appeared he had been confident in his abilities, but now...the others weren't faring well. They didn't have his tolerance or adaptability. They were wasting away.