Encounter

The ground looked different when you were dangling above it. Halia blinked away foggy vision and her nose scrunched as she tried to scent the air. The sky was dark but lingering rays of light still streaked against the clouds. She was outside the cave at the base of the mountain, thick woods surrounding her as night creatures began to stir.

Her head throbbed as she wriggled against the tight rope around her ankle that kept her suspended. She wasn't that high up, about three yards, so she wasn't worried about the drop. But the humans circling her were a concern.

"What're 'ya doing up there, miss?" The male who spoke was rutting through his pockets as he cast a quick glance up.

"I guess I stepped in a trap. I'm assuming it's yours." Her temple ached when she talked and the feeling of lightheadedness made her want to vomit. "Mind letting me down?"

"Oh, 'course not. Give me a moment." The man approached the tether that controlled the trap and quickly cut her loose. "Why're 'ya out in the woods all alone? It ain't safe."

Once her feet were firmly planted on the ground she leaned against a tree for support, ignoring the tough bark that scrapped her skin. "I'm just passing through," She lied. "I'll be fine."

He looked unsure and his gaze flickered to the other men in his party, four in total. "Well 'ya should get going. There's vampires in these parts."

Her heart thumped unsteadily in her chest and she paused, only now noticing the assortment of weapons they each carried. "Really?" She forced her voice to remain level. The last thing she wanted was to make them suspicious. Her hair covered the pointed tips of her ears so they had no reason to believe she was anything other than human. "I haven't seen any around here."

"Aye, 'ya won't see 'em unless they want to be seen. Slippery bastards. We're scouting for their nest."

Oh. Chest throbbing she cleared her throat. "Well, good luck gentlemen. I'd better get going now, don't want to lose the light."

She took a step away from the group only to be stopped by a tight grip on her arm. "What's that thing on yer neck?"

Her hand immediately touched Cade's bite mark, still fresh from a few hours prior. They'd been in the cave for almost a week now and in that time she managed to convince him to feed off of her instead of relying on capsules he insisted, 'worked just fine'. He always offered to heal the wound after but she refused him every time. She liked having his mark on her skin. Now she kind of wished she had accepted, at least for today.

The punctures were unmistakable up close but she hoped the dim light would be enough to fool their weaker eyes. "It's nothing, just a scratch." She tugged against the man's hold and he gripped tighter.

His timbre shifted to a gruff mutter as his eyes darted anxiously around the clearing. "Did those bastards steal 'ya? Don't be afraid, we can help 'ya."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Halia wrenched her arm from his grasp and took another quick step back. "I wasn't stolen by anyone."

He looked to his group with pitying eyes before glancing her way, palms spread in a placating gesture. "The vamps must have wiped yer memory. We can take 'ya to town and help 'ya find yer family. Come on, it'll be alright."

They were kind men, she'd say that much, but their kindness was more of a hassle to her right now than anything. "Thank you for the offer but honestly, I'm okay. My memory is just fine. Vampires didn't steal me away."

They weren't listening, convinced that she was some vampire's hapless victim who'd somehow managed to escape.

"No, look, you're not listening—" Her voice was a frustrated huff as they began circling her. A sudden warm tingle around her wrist made her glance down at her charm, which was glowing softly in the faint light. The men didn't notice the shining bracelet but the shift in the air was tangible and they froze at the sudden lack of noise.