Touch

Cade shuffled back to his quarters, quietly mulling over the situation. His father had always been brutally overprotective of him. He wasn't the best to talk to about emotional issues, but he had always tried to be there to defend him from actual physical harm. That didn't mean he could save him from everything, but he tried.

The tension between Cade and the rest of the clan grew over the years; the more he resisted his nature, the more they pushed him to lose control. Vampires were prideful creatures. They viewed his refusal to embrace his vampiric half as weak. And weakness had no place in the coven.

Hizen was probably sending him away for the reasons he stated and more. If Cade fought with anyone else so soon after the last attack, his father would probably lose it. Hizen had no qualms about killing and another wound to his son might set him off completely. In a fit of rage and bloodlust, he could slaughter the entire clan.

Ironically, this is what the others wanted in a leader. They wanted someone who could massacre and maim without remorse.

Cade stepped quietly into his room, pushing aside thick curtains as he passed. Halia swiveled on the couch, watching him stalk closer as she shut the journal and placed it aside.

"Everything good?" He had an intense expression on his face that melted away when she spoke.

His eyes crinkled when he smiled. "Yeah. We're leaving."

Her breath caught as a spike of fear held her immobile. "L-leaving?" He wanted her gone? What made him change his—?

Not noticing her anxiety he began digging through his closet. "Mhm. There's another cave south of here. We're going to stay there for a while, if that's alright with you?" He emerged with a pile of clothes in hand, brow furrowing when he saw her fearful expression. "What's wrong?"

Halia let out a small sigh of relief when her mind finally caught up. We're, not you. They were leaving together. He wasn't kicking her out.

"Sorry. It's nothing." She smiled reassuringly and he dropped the clothes on his bed before coming to stand in front of her.

"Are you sure?" The back of his hand brushed her cheek and she purred, leaning into the touch.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Great, actually. She nuzzled his palm and he stroked a finger under her jaw for a few moments before drawing back.

"Alright. I'm going to finish packing then we'll go. Is there anything you wanted to bring? Books or...?"

Her fingers gripped the journal by the spine and she waved it lightly. He stared at it for a second but didn't comment. After another beat he nodded and went back to packing. He pointed her in the direction of his closet and asked her to pick out clothes she wanted to bring. He'd made good on his promise to find her garments that actually fit and she had a surprisingly large selection to choose from.

"Is Onna coming along?" Halia eyed the cat from across the room where she was lounging atop a shelf, dangerously close to a small potted plant. Onna's tail twitched at the sound of her name and orange eyes cracked open, staring lazily at the wolf.

"Not this time." He walked over to the cat and scratched her behind the remaining ear. "Hizen is going to watch her."

They finished gathering their things for the trip and Cade shouldered both bags, making Halia roll her eyes. "I can carry that."

He flashed her a grin. "I know you can. But I want to." He made a cooing noise at Onna as they left the room. "Bye kitty, be a good girl."

She meowed in response and they both laughed. The obvious love the man had for the feline was adorable and she wondered what it would be like to have that same affection focused on her.