Chapter 46

Harry was sure I had cheated, and demanded a rematch, with me as a human this time. I beat him (again), but by a much closer margin this time. I was still praising my awesomeness at breakfast, albeit a little more quietly. 

Harry grumpily ate his pancakes as (in between food) I whispered all the reasons he lost into his ear. I'm sure underneath that despondent expression, he was taking my advice seriously, and chastising himself for being such a fool.  

In the midst of me telling him about how a broomstick is not at all aerodynamic, and really a silly choice for a flying vehicle, he sat up and exclaimed "Oh look, the post has arrived!"

I gave him a skeptical look. "... Just like it does every day. So what?"

He hesitated. "Well..."

"Well?"

"Look! There's an owl for you!"

"Sure there is. I'm beginning to think you don't want to hear my tips on how to beat the other houses at Quiditch. Ah well."

I gave a heavy sigh, shaking my head sadly at him, and turned back to my plate, and food.

Just in time to see a professional looking barn owl land on top of my sausages.  

OK, so maybe there was post for me.

Doesn't mean Harry's getting off his lecture. I think it could really help his flying skills.

The owl preened it's chest feathers, then left the letter to slide slowly toward the ketchup on my plate, leaving with the other owls. I rescued the envelope from it's inevitable descent into the terrible doom of ketchup, and turned it over.  The owl hadn't mistaken me for another red haired girl. It clearly said Miss Jane Draconis, in fancy handwriting. Why handwritten? There are things called computers. They are very useful. I need to introduce them to the greater wizarding world.

But anyway, this letter was handwritten. And official. There was a fancy seal on the back, of two interlocking Ms.

"That means it's from the Ministry of Magic. Why've you got one from them?"

"Ron, it's rude to look over peoples shoulders. And I have no idea." Why would the Ministry want me?

Other than the fact that I'm the only Elder known to them. And the trial.

OK, there were quite a few reasons the Ministry might want me. I put the letter in my bag, not wanting to open it in public, and stood up to leave.

As I walked out of the door, I saw that Malfoy had gotten a letter as well. Normally I would dismiss that, as it was probably from his father, who he tells about every little thing that happens to him, but this letter was different. I saw a two M's seal on the back, the same as on my letter. Exactly the same.

If Malfoy got a letter too, it was probably about the trial. I continued out of the door, a frown creasing my forehead. I had 20 minutes before classes began.

Back in me and Hermiones dormitory, I sat against the bed and opened the letter. 

Dear Miss Draconis,

We are writing to inform you that your trial for assault on another student at Hogwarts, Mr Malfoy, has been moved forward. The new date is the 2nd of December, at 9:45am. All parties involved in the case have been informed of this change in the date and time of the trial.

See you soon,

Head of the department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.